Mr Simon's N and 2mm Workbench - pg29> N V1 2-6-2, 2mm L&Y class 23, assorted wagons and stuff

Great looking PCAs there Simon! 

Can you elaborate on the Shawplan cl.37 grille painting? I've got a set of etches from Brian to put an a new generation Farish 37 that I've already renumbered. You say really thinned down paint - enamel or acrylic, and sprayed, or brush painted (or dunked or something?).

Good luck with the 170 repaint! I started on repainting a 168 into Anglia white and green, which hasn't been a fun experience at all. Masking the windows while attempting to strip the dark blue, then paint over with white hasn't been fun at all. In fact the project ground to a halt on the 2nd carriage. For the third I might try grey primer first, followed by the white. The original intention was then for a combination of home printed decals on white for the doors, and clear with the green gradient on the body sides. Lord knows if I'll ever finish it though!

Justin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Justin!

Its my first fully weathered train - so now I've got one I really aught to work on the others... :(

For the 37 grill I brush painted really thinned down enamels (phoenix executive grey P147) - I used quite a large brush and sort of flooded it on.  After about 30 seconds I blew on it so the bubbles that formed between the mesh popped, leaving the paint on the grill.  There might be a better way to do it with an airbrush, but I don't have one so I don't know :)

post-6199-0-96173000-1533160925.jpg

It needs a second coat, maybe darker this time, and I need to paint the cross-bracing frame bit.

Good luck with the 170!  I am quite fortunate in that both ends came off a Midland Mainline 170, so I've just been patch painting the livery - but I've got a 168 centre car  to make it up to 3 cars, and that blue strip above the windows has been staring at me!  It might just run as a 2 car...

post-6199-0-87319000-1533160931.jpg

post-6199-0-87391700-1533160937.jpg

I found it really hard stripping the stags off, so the front section windows need quite a bit of work.  Also, I've just noticed the massive difference between the Bachmann and Phoenix greens - looks like I'm going to have to repaint that bit above the center windows!

Rather than use grey primer, why not use white primer?  I'm looking forward to seeing it finished... Good luck!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by MrSimon

Rather than use grey primer, why not use white primer?  I'm looking forward to seeing it finished... Good luck!

I just used white primer on the first two coaches, and the number of coats needed to obliterate the remains of the blue were ridiculous. I had to use a fibreglass brush to try and smooth down the ridges that had built up alongside all the masking! I'm thinking a grey basecoat would even out the remains of blue\white more easily, before then putting a coat of white on top, might actually end up being fewer coats, and less depth of paint!

I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to go back to this project, its been packed away for now. I'm hoping to fit some lights too, when I do though!

Cheers

Justin 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Justin,

Ooer sounds like I'm going to be running a 2 car!  On mine I masked off the windows and then used fine wet'n'dry on the orange stripes until I was back to the bare plastic and then repainted the whole panel green - do you think that would work on the blue?

I don't think I'll manage anything as fancy as lights!  Do you run DCC?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Lots of little bits done over the weekend, after the weather cooled down a bit :)  I spent a massive amount of time masking and painting the class 170, and other than a bit of neatening up around the windows and painting the doors its pretty much done.  I'll get started with the second coach next week.

Also this weekend I managed to fit my first nameplate straight and in the right place:

post-6199-0-78838600-1533160765.jpg

post-6199-0-22099300-1533160771.jpg

I've since put a bit more glue under the mother end of the nameplate.  Typical with big blown up pictures I've seen a bit of warning panel that needs touching up; but once I've done that its going back into the stockbox until I've decided what to do about the NSE flashes, and then found some.

Its also been a bit of a finishing off weekend on the blue 47:

post-6199-0-47019800-1533160776.jpg

First coat of yellow on the ends and I tried to paint chrome rims onto the engine room windows

post-6199-0-20474200-1533160782.jpg

Then I touched up the black around the cab windows and painted in the black on the engine room windows.  I'm not sure if I like how the chrome rims turned out.  I also fitted NEM pockets to one end, so it can shunt with Dapol couplings on Gresby (or run with no front coupling) I did it the same way as I tried on the class 37 in post #134 except that it worked better.

Almost ready for transfers - and we know how much I like doing that...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon

• 4 weeks later...

Just to prove Simon's dad does actually work on his own locos from time to time.

post-13358-0-49904700-1374759090_thumb.jpg

The Crab tender lined out (fox transfers) and awaiting weathering.   It is now in the queue for soak testing on Top Valley & Rise Park.

Les

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Coupling rod pin was off, as I found out when I applied power.  I'll lamp it finally when I know what train on Top Valley/Rise Park it is to work.  It won't be chipped as it isn't for Hawthorn Dene.

Cab glazing is also still to do.

All the best

• 1 month later...

SI855681.jpg

Sorry for the thread/post necromancy, but what's the running number for the first class coach?

I want to model some holiday services that stopped at Leicester between Birmingham New Street and Great Yarmouth.  The numbers don't necessarily have to be relevant to the region, I just want them to be different across each coach.

Thanks.

Edited by GarrettTheThief

• RMweb Premium

Hi Garrett,

Thanks for the message - sorry its taken a while to get back - I couldn't find the book that had the information.

The first should really be a Corridor first, being a Mark 2a/b/c, i've still not numbered mine.  For that livery you could choose any of the numbers carried by NSE liveried Mark 2 FKs.  The numbers 13435/37/44/50/59/62/67/73/75 (Mark 2a), 13479/82/93/99 & 13507 (Mark 2b), and 13525 (Mark 2c) are all listed as being in the Network South East Western/North Downs pools in the 1993 stock book, with none showing as allocated to Regional Railways - I'm not sure when the Mark 2s moved up north.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hehe thank you!  I must admit, Regional is one of my favourite liveries - I just wish there were a few more classes of DMU available that I could repaint into RR - if there was I'd definitely be modelling an earlier period than I do...

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Spurred on by the impending trip north for Christmas, and my Dad's progress on his Hawthorn Dene layout, I cracked open the weathering powders and started to weather the Iron Tippers from way back on post #40 (page 2)

I can't tell if they turned out ok - All the pictures I've found on WOTW and Paul Bartlett's sites are pretty recent (compared to being steam era), so I'm not sure if I've over done it with the dirt:

post-6199-0-99436800-1533160458.jpg

First wagon:

post-6199-0-36113100-1533160435.jpg

post-6199-0-02054200-1533160451.jpg

post-6199-0-34811400-1533160442.jpg

The light makes the two sides look a slightly different colour, but they're pretty equal.

post-6199-0-09508600-1533160468.jpg

On the second wagon I tried to show a difference on the panel that I plated over, to have the plate less rusty than the wagon side - I'm not sure if that shows anywhere other than in my mind though!

I did them with the humbrol powders that worked so well on the PCAs.  I put on loads and then wiped it off like rain and then added some more, and I tried to wipe off over the number panel.  I think I might need to dry-brush some rust on, I'm just wary of making them look like the Farish factory weathering.

What do you think?

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi thanks Bernard - I found two wagons on there that show the colour being almost right - I could maybe add a bit more yellow into the mix from the ore - what an excellent site!

I'm not sure why I did the patches originally, but I'm glad I did - they give the wagons a bit of extra texture (although I've found one that's more patch than wagon in the to do tray) :D

Cheers

Simon

The plates were added from the 80's onwards (or at least I have not seen any earlier pictures of such repairs), as the sheet metal wears and corrodes faster across the tippler side, where it meets the floor.

I shall see if I can find some photos of tipplers in freight stock grey, most of the colour ones I have of Ironstone locos show the tipplers with a darker tone of weathering (blacks etc) - but you are right to replicate a slight "rusty", orange tone from the ore itself.

Paul A.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul - I had another session with the weathering powders today and aimed for a bit darker:

post-6199-0-21201900-1533160248.jpg

There's something about my window light that makes things looks whiter than they are - but I reckon this could do with another dust of dirt, probably after I've varnished over this coat of powders.

I saw a picture of some tippers on the Great Central and they were much cleaner than the ore-ey yellow tippers I saw on pictures on the Western Region.  I've not seen pictures of the plated wagons other than the later ones on Paul Bartlett's site, it would make sense that they did them earlier but I've not seen pictures. 

post-6199-0-39498700-1533160241.jpg

In total I did six darker ones to go with the two I did yesterday.  The light seems to bring out the red/rust, which doesn't 'pop' as much in day light - I think I need to get a day-light bulb

Cheers

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 1

Looking much better to my eye Simon.

Here's some links to photos which indicate the sort of appearance I mean:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5862631771/in/set-72157626903681829

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8240/8506487351_ae25b2a501_b.jpg

Hope these help - the rake you have so far are very convincing 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thank you for sharing those links - looks like another brilliant flickr site to have a browse through :D  These are the ones I'd found on the Barking Bill's:

The yellow-er ones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/4971588630/in/set-72157624498903685

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/5324189936/in/set-72157624498903685

A blacker one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/2281633813/in/set-72157603696486994/

I can't find the picture of the cleaner wagons, but they looked pretty similar to the two you linked to.  I think a mix of all three colourings should look ok in the rake - I think there's 23 in total to get done!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had completely forgotten about fitted wagons!  They could be - I'm not sure...

The last three of this half of the rake weathered today (the other half need transfers, but I glossed where the transfers need to go after I tidied up today) I decided to try and weather them cleaner than the others:

post-6199-0-50010100-1533160070.jpg

I did this by not re-applying some after I wiped the first layer off.  I hope they don't stand out too much in the train

post-6199-0-17062200-1533160076.jpg

One of yesterday's dirtier ones on the left, with today's on the right.

post-6199-0-00546900-1533160082.jpg

post-6199-0-34476000-1533160091.jpg

post-6199-0-26805300-1533160098.jpg

The train so far - I'm not sure if the dirtier ones need the weathering taking back slightly?  It probably won't look so dirty on a layout rather than a white windowsill.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Lots done this weekend - I got all the remaining ore tippers transferred, which is my least favourite thing as you all know:

post-6199-0-84852200-1533159887.jpg

I need to sit down and dirty them up like the others, and varnish them before they go up to Hawthorne Dene next week

Something else I really aught to take up next week is the A5 from pages 3-5.  Progress has been slightly hampered by me doing this:

post-6199-0-49498400-1533159893.jpg

I need to work out how to get this back together (without a soldering iron) so I'll have a look for some spares in my bits box.  The good news is I think I worked out why the front bogie wasn't behaving, the random bits of frame were in the way, so I smoothed them down a little.

post-6199-0-55383000-1533159899.jpg

I still haven't quite got it to sit level, either front to back or side to side, but that's my mission before I start messing around with the simple matter of a bit of mixed traffic lining...

post-6199-0-66656200-1533159905.jpg

It definitely needs some form of bracing at the front, maybe if I can extend the front screw it could go into a milliput base in the smokebox, but I'll have to have a look around... the pivot point between it doing a wheelie and the back being too high seems to be at the front of the cab...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

The A5 didn't quite make it up north, but I should be able to find enough bits of scrap up here to bodge into an admirable rear truck for it, so all is not lost.  I managed to take a few cinefilms of the ore wagons on Hawthorne Dene, one train with a clean diesel, and the other with a dirty WD:

They didn't come out brilliantly, I'll try for some stills tomorrow.

Merry christmas Everyone :D

Simon

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note from Mr Simon's dad- the ore wagons will be used on Top Valley & Rise Park as we've found evidence of a rake working on the GC North of Nottingham- they didn't get onto the Durham Coast line AFAIK so won't be used on Hawthorn Dene.  When the A5 arrives up here (no hurry) it also will join the Top Valley stud, it isn't going DCC -  Simon has done a photographic 3-page essay to go with the O1 to Digitrains when I take it for chipping later this month......

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Long time no see... I've got a bit of 'tram-fatigue' so I thought I'd see what was in the to do boxes... quite a lot as it happens!  Do you remember the banana vans from pages 1 and 2?  I found more in a drawer and realised I've been meaning to do them for ages.  Yikes.

Luckily I had a load of print-outs in my folder and some plasticard and paint, so I got cracking:

post-6199-0-10315200-1533159716.jpg

This quick conversion was based on the 2mm assoc banana van kit, it was very simple, others I made required more work.

post-6199-0-93398400-1533159710.jpg

One of the vans from Dad had a broken chassis, and I'd been sent a picture of an LMS refrigerated 9ft van, and I had a spare 9ft chassis... so I cut some bits out of the sides, altered the ends (I've not built the end vents yet), broke the roof (oops) and made a 9'wb banana van which has somehow stuck around in front-line service until the 60s. 

I've done some more, but everytime I've been about to take them out for photos its started to rain!

I also put together a dustproof tray for painting projects, I found I wasn't getting a good finish on models since moving to dirty old London.  The first project I decided to test it on was the Mark 2 I got last year:

post-6199-0-91881900-1533159683.jpg

post-6199-0-88229700-1533159689.jpg

I started off by taking it to bits and lightly rubbing away the white lining and lettering

post-6199-0-49072200-1533159698.jpg

And then I had a word with it with some modelstrip (which did nothing) and primed it:

post-6199-0-00236700-1533159705.jpg

Its first coat of livery went on this afternoon, which I will smooth down and re-coat tomorrow (times like this an airbrush and somewhere to spray would be useful!) a few more coats and you should be able to guess the livery haha.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2