Lynton & Barnstaple books

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone recommend me some reading materiel please?

I am looking for a couple of good books on the L&B, ideally would include some drawings of structures, trackplans etc along with info on the History and operations.

Having had a quick look on Amazon there seems to be a vast quantity of publications detailing the line, so I am hoping that I can get a bit of advice that I can buy a quality publication.

Thanks.

I have 'The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway 1895-1935 by L T Catchpole (Oakwood Press)

first published in 1936, now up to its 8th edition, with several reprints.

No building drawings in this, but there are track plans of each station and halt

and several working/timetables, and a list of the stock on the line .

The contents include first thoughts, construction, equipment, the route described, the early years

the Southern Railway years, closure and sale, 128 pages.

Worth 9.95 I thought.

cheers

The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway by G A Brown, J D C A Prideaux and H G Radcliffe has drawings of the locos and rolling stock and also drawings of Lynton, Woody Bay and Blackmoor stations.

It was first published by David & Charles in the 1960's and republished in an enlarged format by Atlantic in 1996.

• RMweb Premium

The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association publish a series of books of drawings. Narrow Lines Extra no 2 features the following (as well as others from the English Narrow Gauge)

Lynton & Barnstaple Baldwin 2-4-2T Works No.15965

Lynton & Barnstaple Bogie Platform Wagons

Lynton & Barnstaple Brake Van (Early Type)

Lynton & Barnstaple Brake Van (Later Type)

Lynton & Barnstaple Four Wheeled Wagon Stock

Lynton & Barnstaple Manning Wardle 2-6-2T

Lynton & Barnstaple Open Bogie Wagons (First Type)

Lynton & Barnstaple Passenger Brake Coaches

Lynton & Barnstaple Passenger Composite Coaches

Lynton & Barnstaple Southern Railway Stock

Lynton & Barnstaple Third Class Brake Coach

Lynton & Barnstaple Third Class Coaches

Lynton & Barnstaple Various Coach Ends

http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37&Itemid=24

Narrow Lines Extra no 9 is buildings and structures and from the L&B covers the following (along with many more)

Lynton & Barnstaple Railway - Blackmoor Station

Lynton & Barnstaple Railway - Bratton Fleming

Lynton & Barnstaple Railway - Chelfham Station

http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=31

Another book not yet mentioned is 'Branch Line to Lynton' by Mitchell and Smith (Middleton Press 1992) no drawings but there is a small map of each station site and lots of photos.

Mike

Archived