What are these ?

br2975

These were installed in the 'down' at Cogan some time ago.

As the station is on a severe curve, I suspect they are for checking alignment, as (approaching) loaded MGR trains would tend to deflect the trackwork to the right - but don't know.

Can anyone explain please ?

Brian R

BTW

The '25' restriction applies to traffic on the Penarth branch which is hidden behind the scrub.

post-1599-0-27437000-1307889028_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-50858200-1307889151_thumb.jpg

Hello, br2975.

The objects look like LREPs to me. These Lateral Resistance End Plates used to be screwed to the ends of wooden sleepers, with the blade buried deep in the ballast, to prevent the track panels from moving under the lateral thrust from passing trains.

The ones in your photos. are the modern version, originally especially for concrete sleepers, which can be fitted and removed much more easily than the old type, being clamped rather than screwed. I believe that PW types still call them LREPs, even though they are not, strictly, end plates!

Now watch the experts correct me...

Regards,

BR(W).

• RMweb Gold

Shows either an encyclopaedic knowledge of model railways or increasing anno domini to remembe when it was being sold

Dagworth was built as stud contact, before I went DCC it was the simplest method I knew of to get fully working track circuits... I like to be different! (And I'm not that old, only 44...) Once I went to DCC then track circuiting became a lot simpler and I converted back to two rail. Some pics of Dagworth still show the last few remaining studs, in this one they are clearly visible in front of the loco.

Sorry for going off topic :offtopic:

post-6674-0-62356500-1307892452_thumb.jpg

Photo by Tim Easter

Andi

Hello, br2975.

The objects look like LREPs to me. These Lateral Resistance End Plates used to be screwed to the ends of wooden sleepers, with the blade buried deep in the ballast, to prevent the track panels from moving under the lateral thrust from passing trains.

BR(W) - Thanks

Brian R

PS

As I'm of an age to remember 3-Rail and stud contact, I realised it wasn't that, but then thought it might be some form of linear induction propulsion for the next generation of Cl.142 Pacers ?

As I'm of an age to remember 3-Rail and stud contact, I realised it wasn't that, but then thought it might be some form of linear induction propulsion for the next generation of Cl.142 Pacers ?

Not the DfT's way of electrifying South Wales on the cheap then? :P

Archived