Milwaukee scheme query

Talltim

For what it's worth, the Kato RSC-2 has an incorrect livery that was applied by the Illinois Railroad Museum when they restored their unit (Kato USA is in Illinois). The Walthers P1K RSC-2 has the correct livery, dark gray upper. The AS-616s in the photo appear to have the light gray upper.

I believe there have been two runs of the P1K RSC-2s so far. It's entirely possible that the 35200 was a first run and corrected with the 31291. With Milwaukee Road diesel schemes, I think the best bet is to rely on individual prototype photos where you know the unit number and date -- it's very complicated, apparently. I like the Milwaukee a great deal -- rode the Afternoon Hiawatha once pre-Amtrak -- but frankly, trying to figure out those early diesel schemes is enough to overheat my brain.

Good to know, although in this pic the Walthers model grey looks pretty light to me too.

http://www.walthers....tinfo/920-35200

However this one seems to be in dark grey, but a strange orange lower

http://www.walthers....tinfo/920-31291

Model photographs can be tricky, but at least the second link appears to me to be UP Armour Yellow in an odd light.

From Walters.com related to the later Hiawatha coaches

* Equipment used 1955-1971 * Correct Armour Yellow, Harbor Mist Gray & Red inspired by the "UP Streamliner Scheme" *

By late 1954, Union Pacific was unhappy with how long-time partner Chicago & North Western handled UP passenger trains between Omaha and Chicago. Work to find a new route began, and on September 20, 1955, Milwaukee Road president John P. Kiley announced that they would handle UP's trains, including the flagship City of Los Angeles, starting October 30.

UP required cars in the Cities pool wear Armour Yellow and Harbor Mist Gray. Milwaukee planned to paint nearly 40 cars for the five trains, but quickly found the UP scheme less expensive to apply and more durable than its own. Starting in 1956, all non-commuter passenger cars and locos began receiving the new colors, which would remain the standard until Amtrak took over in 1971.

The MILW also applied the UP livery to many locomotives, starting with passenger hauling stock but may well have applied it to freight as well.

Archived