Scrap Yard

I want to have a scrap yard next to the track on my OO Gauge layout. Where can I get items to go in the scrap yard. ie Scrap metal, washing machines, old tyres, cars etc. Does anywhere make these ready to use or have I got to make my own. Any suggestions, links or ideas appreciated. Kevin.

S kits are somebody who do scrap washing machines etc. One of the best Scrap yards I have seen is "Eagle Lane" which appeared in Railway Modeller within the last 18 months, not sure if the owner is on here to post pictures but "Bedlam George" and "Nobby" maybe able to assist with the techniques used.

Langley have some useful bits and pieces, albeit rather expensive as they are made out of whitemetal. There's a pack containing an old tin bath and a mangle (is that how you spell it?)which I have heavily weathered (i.e. mostly rust coloured) and placed on my layout. Coopercraft do tyres, I think, or at least, wheels. Otherwise, any old stuff you've got lying around in your scrap box - old plastic kit sprues, spare bits from kits etc can be cut up and painted rust colour. Corrugated plasticard can be cut into scale 12 x 4 foot sheets and dented, oil drums from the Modelscene range (I think that's what they're called these days - the old Merit range) - all possibilities. The key to realism will be in the painting, though.

All the best

David C

• RMweb Premium

Scalelink to some 'lineside junk' that is useful. I have also used the dismantled mechanism from a small 'push and go' clockwork toy, the plastic gears were painted track colour and the spring was cut into smaller pieces and left in a container of water for a couple of days until it was well rusted, I also added a few used staples (but don't leave them in for to long or you end up with a brown gunk.)

Any of the older less detailed cars can be used with some damage inflicted, weathered, detailed and a bit of scrap dumped on one corner of them.

as my layout is 1946-1948 I'm planning on having a messerchmit wing poking out, no idea if it's correct or not, just thinking it'd be different but not in your face.

• RMweb Gold

Our scrap yard is just visible in the corner of this shot.

The white goods were cast from resin after making masters from perspex, the cars are a variety of old vehicles dirtied up, bought from swap meets, traders rejects (eg Taylors) etc.

post-6662-0-13052100-1308298673_thumb.jpg

I want to have a scrap yard next to the track on my OO Gauge layout. Where can I get items to go in the scrap yard. ie Scrap metal, washing machines, old tyres, cars etc. Does anywhere make these ready to use or have I got to make my own. Any suggestions, links or ideas appreciated. Kevin.

As Rob (37114) stated ealier Eagle Lane is a great model of a scrap yard.

This layout is operated and owned by Richard Coleman otherwise known as Cobbler on this forum.

If you PM him i am sure he can help you,

In fact i will be seeing Richard soon to take and post some pictures of his layout for this forum

Cheers

John (nobby)

The scrapyards that I've seen tend to have well mangles stuff in them, and I have used old Tamiya and Airfix kits stripped of their bits for scrap. I found that kits that were painted, then stripped and weathered looked more natural, as you ended up with lots of shades and colours rather than a uniform wash of rust.

Metal swarf from a lathe bed can also yield useful looking scrap. With a little damp and left overnight it quickly rusts naturally. Somewhere I have a pot of swarf that was carefully extracted from the chain pockets of a wagon loaded with steel tubes - it looks perfect for the dross that will cover the ground in most scrap yards, as well as for making up wagon loads.

Archived