Herring Ballast Wagon

Recently I've taken up drawing my own etches and have been playing about in AutoCAD. Firstly, I've been doing layout bits (as can be seen on that thread) and now I'm designing my first wagon kit. The GWR designed Herring. Prototype pictures below;

The more modern BR built examples 1/582 - http://paulbartlett....o.com/brherring

The original GWR build 1575 - http://paulbartlett.....com/gwrherring

This kit has been on and off the back burner for the last two years. You can read back through the development of this design on the old RMWeb thread here:

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=8&t=42589

Currently I am on the 4th test etch, which is shown below.

post-2184-0-78703700-1308170858_thumb.gif

post-2184-0-71438500-1308168644_thumb.jpg

post-2184-0-87312200-1308168708_thumb.jpg

May I please end this post with a request for any information people may have about these wagons. Especially underframe/brake photographs. Many thanks.

• 5 months later...

This hopper

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=2061

is reportedly for sale from the NYMR, what has a 1893 NER coke hopper got to do with GWR design Herrings I hear you ask??

Well over on National Preservation forum, there is the suggestion that this is an industrial rebuild from a GWR P6 or P7 hopper. I've no idea if that's true, and the wagon register photo isn't very good, but I can't see anything in it to disprove that theory, so does this make it the only GWR hopper in preservation? http://railways.national-preservation.com/heritage-rolling-stock/11670-rolling-stock-sale-11.html

Jon

Interesting though the P22 is a bit different from a P6/7/N26 as the hopper bottom is on the centreline with two doors opening through operating gear on both sides. The earlier hoppers featured only one door on one side and also had the bottom of the hopper offset to one side by 5 inches.

All of the early hoppers have GA drawings available from the NRM in the OPC microfiche collection. Sadly only the diagram book image of the P22 is included. The correct drawings of a P22 may come to light in the Met Cam collection or the main Swindon C&W archive at the NRM when they are catalogued and available to view.

The operating mechanism on that hopper may have been useful to see if still in place but im guessing it will have been removed when lever operated brake gear was fitted. The riveted hoppers had a Dean Churchward type.

• 4 weeks later...

A concerned member had reported the above posts feeling that there was tension and abuse.

I am happy to advise innocent bystanders that the above two gentlemen are permitted to abuse each other on here; as they do in real life. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Bryn,

This is something I really wanted to get into but have no background for this.

Using the CAD shouldn't be a problem but I have a few quick question, if I could be so bold.

Which company did you get your etches made?

How much per etch? (Minimum quantity?)

On your CAD view, obviously the Black is Un-etched and I take it that the Blue and Red areas are "slightly" etched. Can you specify how deep these etches are made?

Many Thanks and a Great looking wagon.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bryn that has answered everything so far - and more.

This has given me the confidence to have a go myself.

Now all I need to do is find time to fit in another project!

Kev.

(PS. I genuinely did not know whot scale that wagon was made in - I just assuemed OO. A real credit to you sir!)

Glad it was of use to you, they are a great company to deal with and the results are very crisp (no connection, satisfied customer). Thank you for the kind words about the Herring, it's quite easy to draw the etch, but a whole different matter to assemble the damn thing!

• RMweb Gold

A concerned member had reported the above posts feeling that there was tension and abuse.

I am happy to advise innocent bystanders that the above two gentlemen are permitted to abuse each other on here; as they do in real life. ;)

Especially in the Sheffield Midland No1 tap :stinker:

• 1 year later...

RE the hopper on the NYMR; might this have been one of the ones used for transporting coking coal from South Yorkshire to the GWR gasworks at Swindon, rather than a ballast hopper?

This one is the last one of three that came out of Rountrees  and is now at Cottesmore where the plan is to remove the extension that was added when used for coal as an "internal user".

Mark Saunders

Archived