Oxford Centre Model Shop?

narrowman

I've got a quick visit to Oxford on Sat 18th June basically to visit the Ashmolean.

Does anyone know if there is a city centre model shop? -

I just want a couple of Peco items, but will have very limited time to visit and I'd like to support a local shop rather than Ebay, if possible.

Narrowman

www.tonysmodelrailways.co.uk

The sole shop I know of selling railway models in Oxford city centre is Boswells, but they only sell Hornby and then at full RRP. It was such a pity that Howes moved away from Broad St.

Boswells will price match - take the RM in with you, and Graham is great and very helpful. Nowhere in Oxford does Peco - Howes, which is now in an industrial unit, is the nearest. Like most of the good shops in the Broad it has been replaced with somewhere for tourists. Howes is not as good any more either; it really seems set-up for mail order and the standard of face-to-face service is rather erratic.

Boswells will price match - take the RM in with you, and Graham is great and very helpful. Nowhere in Oxford does Peco - Howes, which is now in an industrial unit, is the nearest. Like most of the good shops in the Broad it has been replaced with somewhere for tourists. Howes is not as good any more either; it really seems set-up for mail order and the standard of face-to-face service is rather erratic.

+1 on what you've said... Graham at Boswells has seemingly been there forever! If you really need something and you are in the area than Boswells is only 2 minutes from the Ashmolean but it is full RRP and generally aimed at trainset market. There is an "Oxford Model Centre" which you might find reference to... but it seems to deal with R/C Gear and Motorbooks in headington changed owners and disappeared over Christmas.

Howes is a fair hike out from the city centre and definitely requires a bus ride, but it is geared towards mail order.... which does include the variable customer service and limited stock "on show".

m0rris

Archived