RMweb

Hornby Class 86 conversion to Class 83

Thanks ToF, glad you've enjoyed reading the thread. The blue hasn't been applied yet, I've been distracted by a Class 25/0 which I've described elsewhere, and to be honest I am slightly concerned about undoing all my progress so far by applying a second-rate paint job. I use Railmatch/Precision aerosols as I don't have an airbrush and I've had some negative experiences with them recently but let's not get into that debate now! Needless to say I have to pluck up the courage, bite the bullet, (insert appropriate cliche here) and finish the Class 83!

The chassis/underframe will be scratchbuilt and the running gear will be from a Heljan Class 26 which along with the Class 33, as Jim S-W has pointed out, has (close to) the correct wheelbase.

• 3 months later...

A little more progress - the recessed area of the roof has been cut out and replaced by a plasticard insert (if anyone has photos showing the layout of the panels within the recessed area I'd love to see them - none on AC Group site), then a final coat of primer for the whole body. Then the ends were sprayed with Railmatch warning panel yellow. The headcode panels will be black dominoes, but they can wait for now.

Really impressed with the 83 model so far its good to see someone taking the plunge to do some real modelling makes me realise how lazy ive

become buy wating for someone to do an RTR model LOL :laugh: JSW's right about the front ends being slightly rounder but understand why you left it alone still very very nice job.

Having the same trouble trying to find a decent roof photo of 81017 for my Lilliputt model im detailing. Afraid I cant offer you any photos but if you can find a copy of Practical model railways July 1986 it has Graham Clarks article on converting a Triang 81 into classes 82/83 as he says "not for thepurists" but well worth a read. There is a couple of roof diagrams for both classes but unfortunatly no roof photos of the real locos but it does have one of the models roof. Also as Graham is on the Rm web it may well be worth contacting him to see if he has any photos himself

Good luck looking forward to seeing how this progresses

Thanks for the info Trailrage, that's useful to know. It is a year since I started this thread and I'm ashamed to say that progress is still rather slow! I think the first anniversary might be the kick up the backside I need to get her finished. I hope I don't need to eat those words this time next year when no further progress has been made!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Trailrage, that's useful to know. It is a year since I started this thread and I'm ashamed to say that progress is still rather slow! I think the first anniversary might be the kick up the backside I need to get her finished. I hope I don't need to eat those words this time next year when no further progress has been made!

Managed to get a few pics of the text and roof diagram from the article I can send them to you if you want me to

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't done very much on the Class 83 recently, for the simple reason that I have far too many projects on the go simultaneously and I tend to flit back and forth from one to another as the mood takes me. However, a wonderfully serendipitous discovery this morning may have given this project the impetus to stagger over the finishing line! I was dismantling a Heljan Class 33 chassis (bought from 43087 of this parish, cheers Lee) in order to put the motor and bogies under 81014 (the 81 in primer in the photos). This would also entail stretching the cardan shafts in order to accomodate the 81's longer wheelbase and discarding the main metal part of the chassis, but I discovered that after removal of the PCB, and the top of the rubber motor mounts, the chassis sits perfectly without further alteration under the 83. The bogie wheelbase is identical, as we know, and the overall wheelbase dimensions are close enough for me to not worry about. It looks right, which is the main concern for me! So, after sitting down to undertake some serious surgery and hopefully get 81014 running, I have actually done very little in the way of surgery - just a little dismantling -and got the 83 sitting on a nicely weighted, smooth running chassis.

The next tasks will be to get 81014 and the 83 (I think it will be 011) painted, and to fabricate bufferbeams and get the bogie frames changed.

The other 81 is, if anyone is interested, 81021, Trix/Liliput body, scratchbuilt chassis and Heljan powered. 81014 will be mechanically identical.

Anyone need any Heljan 33 spares? Or anyone got another chassis so I can finish 81014?!

post-7084-0-90569300-1341063556_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-45477900-1341063403_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-03426500-1341063660_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-84982500-1341063769_thumb.jpg

Edited by forest2807
  • Like 5

Um, the 33 wheelbase (while ok for classes 82-84) is 3mm too short for an 81

Hth

Jim

That may well be so, but it fits into the altered Hornby Class 86 bogie frame that I am using on the 81 perfectly and to my eye at least has the same wheelbase as the bogie frame moulding.

I think these are coming along nicely Forest.

If it looks right it is right is my philosophy. One suggestion, DEFINATELY not a criticism, I'd have a go at cutting out windows for flush glazing as the ones in the blue 81 look a bit obvious and given the amount of work you're putting in, it seems a shame not to go the whole hog with the windows.

Cheers.

Sean.

That is a good point Sean. I may well do that, good idea! Thanks for adding to my 'to do' list!

Another thing I need to do is paint over the marker light LEDs on 81014 to reduce the area of visible red. The LEDs I use fit the hole in the Liliput body perfectly but to my eye the red area is too large. 81021 will get the same treatment when I buy some more LEDs but the 83 won't have lights.

Edited by forest2807

Guest jim s-w

Hi Adrian

Try colouring them with a black marker - not sure what it would do to them when lit but tail lights appear nearer black than red when unlit.

HTH

Jim

Hmmmn. Just pondering your tail lamp issues Forest.

This may be a bit radical, given the ends are all painted, but could you just cut them off after selecting some tubing, (plastic or metal), of the correct diameter?

As I say, radical, but if it's bugging you now, it's bound to keep bugging.

Anywho, still some very nice work there.

Cheers.

Sean.

out of interest does any one produce the bogie side frames for the early ac loco's?

I have bought some whitemetal ones from a seller on ebay but I dont like the look of them

Just out of curiosity were these Apple Green mouldings ?

The reason I ask is I have been thinking of buying some for my class 82 project (using an old triang classs 81 as a basis)

and have only seen them on the BAY of E from Lenny Apple Green

Hi Adrian

Try colouring them with a black marker - not sure what it would do to them when lit but tail lights appear nearer black than red when unlit.

HTH

Jim

I have used a humbrol gloss burgandy applied with a cocktail stick before for non working tail lamps looks pretty good

The 83 is looking rather nice now, I always liked the old intercity liveried one myself. I'm not really over the moon about the trix 81 tbh but thats more and issue with the trix model for me rather than the work you have done. I am quite tempted to do a modified Bachmann 85 to create one if I can justify one on my layout which is now a much better starting point. I also must agree with Jim on painting tail lights black not red. I've been doing that since I was 15 and looks far more convincing than red paint.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Just out of curiosity were these Apple Green mouldings ?

The reason I ask is I have been thinking of buying some for my class 82 project (using an old triang classs 81 as a basis)

and have only seen them on the BAY of E from Lenny Apple Green

yeah they are

they just don't look very well moulded no crispness to them