Hornby Class 86 conversion to Class 83

Yes (that's what mine is made from), but it might be worth waiting a couple of months before cutting anything up, just in case...

Why? I wont be getting vast amounts of money anytime soon & if I can build something out of cheap(-ish) Hornby bits, I will

Without bombing the thread too much, here is an 84 that has been converted from a Hornby class 86 body:

post-6819-0-14656700-1360518310_thumb.jpg

Does it look like an 84...? Probably, although I think the general shape could be better. All you're really using from the original body are the cab windows, compared to making those from scratch everything else is relatively straightforward. I'd be guessing if I worked out it's component value, but at today's prices it's probably about £20, and that's being over generous with the ancillary bits. The costing for the time involved to build it would be many times that figure.

New "Weveneverhaditsogood" RTR releases can benefit those on a budget, as some modellers choose to abandon unfinished projects (look out for AppleGreen resin class 84 bodies soon), although don't forget this can be a false economy once other factors such as the cost of a decent chassis and your own time are added in.

Into an AL3. IIRC it used modified cowboys for the drivers!

They weren't as bad as the 86/0's or more recently the class 70's, but sometimes you'd have to be a Rodeo Rider to hang on to a bouncing Roarer...

• Like 6

Andy, always good to see your ACs. I'd not heard of Apple green before, having looked at their site are they as good as they look?

Regards

There not too bad, if your prepared to put in a fair bit of work. This is my 84, which I have still not finished since this pic was taken, in 2007. There may be a sudden urgency to finish it soon though!

8462892766_8414112934.jpg

84002-09 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

• Like 7

Ooh a modelling race. Ok your on!

Cheers

Shane

Can I join in...? the recent ETL announcement was the final straw and prompted me into dumping a load of unfinished projects, but seeing a video from the weekend of 86101 and 87002 alive at Carlisle has spurned me into tackling something that is both Electric and Blue.....

Yeah, join in! The more the merrier.

In a vain attempt to edge closer to completing the 83 I tried putting Modelmaster transfers on pre-cut out and sprayed plastic pieces today to represent the grilles in the bodyside. I knew that 83's had one of the grilles turned round 90 degrees during the course of their working lives, so without double checking and relying solely on memory I ploughed in. And yes, you've guessed it, I got the wrong grille. 2-3 hours work today and I'm back at the stage that I was at this morning. Class 83 bodyside grilles, attempt 2, coming your way soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can I join in...? the recent ETL announcement was the final straw and prompted me into dumping a load of unfinished projects, but seeing a video from the weekend of 86101 and 87002 alive at Carlisle has spurned me into tackling something that is both Electric and Blue.....

I took a picture of 87002 for a college photography project

1360169754.hancockshire_class_87_carlisl

As a result, I passed my photography class with flying colours

Going back on topic (ish), do AppleGreen have a website at all?

I ordered one yesterday too see if its been improved since I bought one of the last ones back in 2006. The mould was looking tired then and recall Jamie from Apple Green was making a new master. I wonder if this is one of the new batch. We shall find out shortly!

Cheers

Shane

I now have the 83 body and to be frank its a bit of a dissapointment. Full marks to Apple Green engine for making the effort though. Main issue is the lack of detail and the cab shape. While lack of detail makes it easier in some respects the the quality of the detail thats there is a problem. The original model that I have, which originates from L&J Models had some of the roof detail moulded on and raised frames around the grilles and windows. The new one has neither and very shallow relief grilles.

It looks like a Hornby 86 has been used as the cab doors are a giveaway, but thats no bad thing either. Problem with the cabs is the roof shape and the size of the windscreens, which are to tall. Headcode panel is to small as well.

All in all I would struggle to make this into a fair representation of an 83 and think I will persevere with my other version. I cant see any merit in combining the best features of the two bodies.

I will take some pics in a day or two and post them up.

Looks like my alternative plan may be worth persuing........

cheers

Shane

• Like 2

While lack of detail makes it easier in some respects the the quality of the detail thats there is a problem. The original model that I have, which originates from L&J Models had some of the roof detail moulded on and raised frames around the grilles and windows. The new one has neither and very shallow relief grilles.

It looks like a Hornby 86 has been used as the cab doors are a giveaway, but thats no bad thing either. Problem with the cabs is the roof shape and the size of the windscreens, which are to tall. Headcode panel is to small as well.

This also sums up my opinion on the Class 84 body that I bought from the same place. Best treated as base for what would essentially be a scratchbuild.

• Like 1

This also sums up my opinion on the Class 84 body that I bought from the same place. Best treated as base for what would essentially be a scratchbuild.

This was the basis for my 84, which still does not look right, its more like a class 84 a-like.

cheers

Shane