Hornby Class 86 conversion to Class 83

Definately euston, probably late 80s

Hth

Jim

Weren't the headcode panels plated over by then or did 012 retain them until it was repainted in InterCity livery? The faded paintwork does suggest repeated trips through the washer so maybe it was doing ecs duties at the time, so perhaps late 80's is correct.....

Weren't the headcode panels plated over by then or did 012 retain them until it was repainted in InterCity livery? The faded paintwork does suggest repeated trips through the washer so maybe it was doing ecs duties at the time, so perhaps late 80's is correct.....

Didnt 83012 retain the working headcodes till the end?

Even though I took the picture at Euston I have lost all my records over the years. I have maybe a thousand pics taken all over the network during the eighties, there didn't seem to be a weekend when our group wasn't about somewhere. Any requests?

Even though I took the picture at Euston I have lost all my records over the years. I have maybe a thousand pics taken all over the network during the eighties, there didn't seem to be a weekend when our group wasn't about somewhere. Any requests?

Yes! Please share them with us, create a thread on here. Some people may be able to help you update/replace your lost records and we'll get more lovely 80's shots.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The good weather last week combined with the fortunate discovery of a can of Railmatch spray paint that actually worked meant that I was able to get outside and finally apply some BR Blue to the Class 83. The second Class 81 was also treated to a top coat. The 83 now has to have bufferbeams attached (they are built, just need painting), correct pattern bogie frames fitted, although I am not 100% happy with the 2 sets in my 'bits' box, both whitemetal and resin. I may eventually scratchbuild a set. Then the underframe detail needs constructing ( I haven't given this any thought whatsoever yet), and the bodyside grilles fabricating and constructing. Oh, and yes, I've forgotten the roof! I will get there one day.

The second Class 81 has had its bogies (from a Hornby 86, and yes, I know they aren't perfect) altered - the beam that supports the flexicoil suspension on the 86 has been removed and the beading around the bogie frame added from microstrip. I will do the same to 81021 one day.

Photos below, Class 83 is in the middle!

post-7084-0-64373900-1343845786_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-84333600-1343845841_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-61986700-1343845875_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-15299400-1343845909_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-48323500-1343845942_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-21556400-1343845976_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-14145100-1343846040_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

I picked up a bargain Bachmann Class 85 yesterday at the Folkestone show, thanks to the SIgnal Box of Rochester (no connection, just satisfied customer, etc...). I deliberately opted for the early version in electric blue as it has 2 pantographs, so guess what? Yes, I'm going to take it apart and use it as spares! (Bachmann don't do their pantograph as a spare part, much to my chagrin). One of the pantos will end up on the 83 and the other on one of the 81s. The chassis will go beneath a 3rd Liliput 81 body that I have lurking in the cupboard. I just know that as soon as I start taking this lovely model apart Bachmann will announce an 81.....

I also picked up some brass tube in order to fabricate the roof mounted air tanks. All this should keep me busy for a while, or at least until next April when all modelling activities will have to take a back seat for several years(!) as I am to become a Daddy for the first time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dont hold your breath spoke to them at DEMU back in june and was told they get very little in the way of spare parts between 2-4 locos worthover a production run

Cant understand it really as they are the manufacturer after all

Dont hold your breath spoke to them at DEMU back in june and was told they get very little in the way of spare parts between 2-4 locos worthover a production run

Cant understand it really as they are the manufacturer after all

Sorry, I don't follow you. Who did you speak to? Bachmann? As they are the manufacturer their spare parts supply is surely limited only by the number they manufacture. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? 2 - 4 locos worth of stock seems ridiculously low. I've had dozens of spare Class 25 and 37 bogie frames and other spare parts over the years, far more than 2 - 4 locos worth.

Bachmann don't actually make the models, it's outsourced to the factory owned by someone else (kader I believe) so I guess it's whether they can get a 'slot' on the production run to make enough spares. These days companies are trying to cut as many costs as possible...

• 3 months later...

Nice to see this thread re-appearing near the top! I've done very little on the 83 in the last few months but just 2 days ago I did start on the bodyside grilles. I decided the best way to go about it was to cut/file a lozenge of plasticard to the exact shape and size of the aperture and then fix it to a slightly larger piece. Then the 'perfect fit' piece can be secured in the aperture from the rear. Before it is fixed it will need to be primed and sprayed and then transfers representing the grille louvres cut to size and placed on the plastic lozenge. The tricky bit will be the beading around the edge.

Yes (that's what mine is made from), but it might be worth waiting a couple of months before cutting anything up, just in case...

Why? I wont be getting vast amounts of money anytime soon & if I can build something out of cheap(-ish) Hornby bits, I will

Nice to see this thread re-appearing near the top!

No wonder, it's quite a clever mod, well, that's my opinion anyway

• Like 1