Royal Scot 46106 Gordon Highlander

Guest Tom F

Guest Tom F

Morning all

I was wondering if someone could tell me the date when 46106 was fitted with AWS. For some reason my Book of Royal Scots doesn't say, the series of books usually states AWS dates :unsure:

Cheers

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

I was wondering if someone could tell me the date when 46106 was fitted with AWS. For some reason my Book of Royal Scots doesn't say, the series of books usually states AWS dates :unsure:

Cheers

Tom

The only help i can give is between August 1954 My link

and the 15th of July 1960 My link

March 1962 My link

sorry i can't help more, maybe others will be able to reduce the date further. Have you tried the NRM to see if the engine record card survives?

Kind regards

Duncan

Tell-tale signs on photos to look out for are the sheet metal protector behind the front coupling hook (although not fitted at first), cylinders and batterybox on top of the running plate. Simplistically, AWS was generally fitted from around 1960 and Grdon Highlander had it by August 1960.

Still researching....

Simplistically, AWS was generally fitted from around 1960. Tell-tale signs on photos to look out for are the sheet metal protector behind the front coupling hook (although not fitted at first), cylinders on the footplate and batterybox.

Hi Tom, I can agree with the other posters having just finished 46102 'Black Watch'. I also had to research this subject, 46102 was finished as in late fifties and could have had AWS but being a Scottish engine they were later in receiving AWS and a few never actually got it before scrapping, same as the Britannias and Clans which more or less ran the same trains - Glasgow to Liverpool/Manchester.

The Scots from the south seemed to have the AWS first from about 1958/59 but most got it fitted from around 1960 as Coach says.

Does somone do etched BR smoke deflectors as on Gordon Highlander, it will look very different.

One has to be so careful of dated photos as I found out with a couple dated mid-fifties with maroon Mk1s and even one with electrification flashes clearly seen so can you believe others!!!!

Good luck with the build.

Dave Franks

www.lanarkshiremodels.com

Guest Tom F

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated :)

Seen as I model September 1960, that answers my question coachmann, cheers :drinks:

I seem to recall Jackson-Evans doing the BR style smoke deflectors as fitted to 46106, Dave.

Indeed, I left a message with him earlier today, and awaiting a return call :)

Tom

Archived