French Nuclear Flask Wagon in the UK

I don't know how often this has occured, but I understand that a class 37 has been seen/video'd etc pulling a French bogied Nuclear flask wagon up through London going North in the last few months. My question is about a model. It certainly looks like the outline of what I was shown but without all of the end handrailing. I was presented with one of these bogie wagons quite some time ago and I was wondering who the manufacturer might be. On the underside it has Modele Depose NTL, Lara Maquettes, (1) 46 54 45 44 Paris. It has marking referring to NTL Risley. I can't remember what NTL meant, but I know this used to be part of NNC, the National Nuclear Corporation who were based at Whetstone Leicester and Risley Cheshire. Any info would be useful.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know how often this has occured, but I understand that a class 37 has been seen/video'd etc pulling a French bogied Nuclear flask wagon up through London going North in the last few months. My question is about a model. It certainly looks like the outline of what I was shown but without all of the end handrailing. I was presented with one of these bogie wagons quite some time ago and I was wondering who the manufacturer might be. On the underside it has Modele Depose NTL, Lara Maquettes, (1) 46 54 45 44 Paris. It has marking referring to NTL Risley. I can't remember what NTL meant, but I know this used to be part of NNC, the National Nuclear Corporation who were based at Whetstone Leicester and Risley Cheshire. Any info would be useful.

I saw a photograph of this wagon taken at the time, problem is I can't remember where.scratch_one-s_head_mini.gif

• RMweb Gold

NTL stood for Nuclear Transport Ltd. I have one of the models as well. They were corporate gifts given out by NTL.

IIRC NTL was owned by the nuclear operators from UK (BNFL), France (Cogema now Areva) and Belgium. NTL was set up to carry spent fuel to Sellafield/Cap de la Hague and recycled materials back to the customers eg as Mox.

Thanks for the information, I received it having worked on Sizewell B in a previous life. Still don't know what make it is though. It doesn't go with my Eastern Steam locos so I think it might be heading towards e-bay soon.

Thanks again. Strange that this activity has happened this year, this model must be about 20 years old, it certainly runs well on the 4 bogies and althought a gimic, the covers open up to show the flask inside. Having been kept in doors all day because of the rain, I realised that I made a mistake at Railex last month and didn't buy a spray booth from Eileen's, so needs must, it's going on e-bay, well this will be a start anyway.

The maunfacturer was – as you yourself stated – Lara Maquettes of Paris. The firm is defunct and doesn't seem to have done any other model railway stuff. There are several threads about these wagons on RMF and LR Presse forums. It seems likely they produced one batch for COGEMA about 20 years ago?

• RMweb Gold

The working you are talking about is the 6Z66 Dollands Moor ( Folkstone) to Crewe

The only loco I can find any evedence of working this is 37688 Kingmoor TMD

Pics can be found here

Clapham Hademoor Dudswell

There are more but that should get you going ;)

That working was 19th March and should have had 2 French wagons but one was found to be out of gauge for UK due to a faulty cover. After fixing, it went forwards on another 6Z66 with 66.432 pulling the single wagon 02April.

I realised that I made a mistake at Railex last month and didn't buy a spray booth from Eileen's

Not a total; disaster. they are on special offer of half price delivery (£10 down to £5), £84 delivered including hose and turntable.

Derek (Eileen's Emporium)

That working was 19th March and should have had 2 French wagons but one was found to be out of gauge for UK due to a faulty cover. After fixing, it went forwards on another 6Z66 with 66.432 pulling the single wagon 02April.

Found a piccie of that working too Click Here ;)

Archived