H09-Diorama in progress

Hi,

I'm currently working on a diorama 550 mm wide and 800 mm deep. The steam crane is scratch-built but it's also available as a lasercut kit, if someone fancies one for themselves. It can be bought from here: http://wb616757.bahnhofbredband.se/

And yes, it's set in Sweden although I guess it looks pretty universal. Plenty of work remains, more pictures will follow.

Stefan

post-12040-0-31067100-1308399715_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying watching this develop, Stefan. It's all very impressive modelling, but I'm particularly impressed by your lanscaping and low-level scrubby vegetation. Could you say something about the materials you use and how you use them to such good effect?

Nick

Thanks Nick!

I use Chamotte as soil/gravel. I'm not sure what it's called in English,but it's a very fine ceramic powder which I have coloured, where appropriate, with washes of brownish/black oil colour in white spirit. When the build of the landscape was finished, I painted stones and rocks, then covered the whole thing (including the Peco 009/H09 flex track) with a mixture of Chamotte and glue in powdered form from the Auhagen range. I prefer to use only water instead of the usual PVA/water mixture. It's nice to have everything covered with soil before adding vegetation, It makes it easy to get some natural looking "bald spots" and build up the vegetation. I have used Woodland Scenics products and tried to keep it pale and toned down with mostly 'Burnt Grass' and 'Light Green' There are some Grass Tufts from Noch also. The larger bushes are cut from seafoam trees. Logs and tree stumps are Hazel from the garden.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan, that's very interesting. I take your point about trying to keep it pale, most of my efforts seem to come out too dark. I don't recall anyone mentioning chamotte for stone and soil cover before. AFAIK the term is also used in english, but it's also known to potters as grog -- not to be confused with the naval use of the term, though I'm sure some find it useful in modelling :unsure: Maybe it could even have a use as ballast? Does anyone know of any sources in the UK?

Nick

The Chamotte has been used as ballast by some modellers in Sweden. Historically, fine gravel was the ballast of choice for railways here and Chamotte is probably one of the better representations when it comes to the size of the particles.

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm very impressed how you've blended your model trees with the real ones in the background - if it wasn't for the edge of the board visible on the left, it would be difficult to spot where the model ends.

Stu

Very nice - the narrow-but-deep module gives some amazing photographic opportunities. I really like the earlier view looking through the trees from back to front. It would be very hard to get something like that on a conventional wide-but-shallow module.

Will

Thanks Will!

My thoughts exactly! The biggest difference (I think) between a larger layout and a diorama is that the diorama (usually) lacks depth a lot more than size.

Regards,

Stefan

Archived