Yet Another, As Yet Unnamed, Challenge Entry

Matt Harris

OK, so I've finally decided to give this challenge a go.

It's something small enough to, hopefully, get done within the time limit and help give a kick-start to my main layout project.

At the moment, I've not fully decided what to do but the following are certain:

• It will be 4mm/ft
  • Trackwork will be to P4 standards
  • DCC will be involved
  • Post-privatisation UK stock will be represented

I've also been inspired, via Prof Klyzlr's writings on the subject, to try foamboard as a constructional material; specifically to build a version of the 'AU$100 module' outlined at:

http://www.krmodels.com.au/100dollarmod/100dolarmod.html

One of the first challenges was to find where to get foamboard from locally (I live in Belgium).

I was able to find an art shop in Brussels which, despite my poor Dutch & French skills, sold me some 5mm foamboard.

So far, I've made a start on the module structure - I'll add some pictures later.

Matt H

So, I got a 4-pack of 500x650x5mm foamboard for €13.47

post-3781-0-46396400-1308433070_thumb.jpg

Two of those sheets I reduced to the following kit of parts

post-3781-0-33804900-1308433072_thumb.jpg

As a dry-run, these come together to look something like this

post-3781-0-25407600-1308433063_thumb.jpg

post-3781-0-76778300-1308433064_thumb.jpg

post-3781-0-93345600-1308433066_thumb.jpg

Now to dig out the glue-gun...

Matt H

Load bank testing

If you read the work instructions for setting up diesel electric locos, it says “ connect main generator to an external resistor†then external resistor needs to be rated at about 4.5 mega watt, not the sort of thing you would buy at Maplin. Crew loco works used copper plates in a bath of brine, I have a photo somewhere?

Gary

• RMweb Gold

This may have helped me. "Carton plume" sounds like a good start in my quest for foamboard here in France, so thanks very much. Oh, and I have been known to drink a beer called Grimbergen, which - by Northern European standards - wasn't in any way grim!

Crew loco works used copper plates in a bath of brine, I have a photo somewhere?

Gary,

That sounds interesting. Initially, I was thinking of a loadbank incorporated within an ISO container, as I'm looking at a mid-90's to late-00's timeframe. Do you know when the Crewe works brine bath ceased operations?

This may have helped me. "Carton plume" sounds like a good start in my quest for foamboard here in France, so thanks very much. Oh, and I have been known to drink a beer called Grimbergen, which - by Northern European standards - wasn't in any way grim!

Glad to have been of help!

Indeed, 'Grimbergen' is rather good, I normally hold a small stock - it's certainly better than the 'reassuringly expensive' stuff...

Interesting to see someone else using the "Professor Klyzlr" Baseboard method

That is an impressive and thought through kit of parts for a baseboard.

I really like that baseboard design! Might have to rip mine apart (again!) and build it that way - likely to be much more stable too!

I love the method that your foam box has been constructed in.

Cant wait till you start filling it with scenery.

Yes this is very impressive and looks (easy) to construct, am tempted to have a dabble at this method myself.

Thanks for all the interest in the baseboard construction.

As I mentioned earlier, I certainly cannot claim any originality for the design, I've just tweaked it to work with 5mm foamboard in a similar vein to that done by Prof Klyzlr.

Last night I glued the fascia panel mounting blocks onto the upper and lower fascia panels.

For this, I just used a strong PVA wood glue, along with a kiddies glue spreader. With this, I was able to apply a nice even and thin layer of PVA on each block. By using a thin layer, the drying time was quick.

These blocks were positioned to give a slight interference fit, allowing the fascias to be held in place temporarily purely using friction.

I'll post some pic's later.

Thanks for looking.

Matt H

Archived