N Gauge motor replacement

kiwinewt

Has anyone replaced motors/chassis in N gauge locos with smaller versions, which in turn allow space for fun things like more weight, better pickups, DCC decoders...

If so, where do people get new motors and such from?

I am looking at doing this to an old GF hall that I am trying to upgrade to DCC - the wonders of this chassis mean that wiring is a bit complicated (especially with my s#!t soldering skills...)

Nate

Nate,

The problem is that smaller motors usually mean less power. And in N scale that can be a real issue. Fitting things like weight, decoders etc. to N scale models is not easy given the space restraints, but although you may find smaller motors, they will not develop more power.

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A DigiHat is the best solution to DCCing the older Farish models.

N Brass Loco used to do a drive kit that allowed a new motor to be fitted to the tender, driving the original loco mounted gear train via a cardan shaft (like Dapol's newer locos). No idea if it's still available.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I enquired about the N Brass tender drive, Nick told me he was having difficulty sourcing the universal joints it uses; but as soon as he has sorted a new supplier, he intends to make them available again.

Which is good, as I've several projects "on ice" for want of them ...

Archived