Squeezebelly Lane Depot N inglenook in a Table- Still Going

devondynosoar118

Thanks Mikkel- Have done some more bits, just got the lighting to do and print some pictures for inside the top floor of the warehouse, then I will update. Texture of buildings is all down to Scale scenes, I can take no credit for their hard work on the building papers.

Yes, that is the free goods shed from them. I have been surprised at the 3d illusions created by printed sheets, having used mainly embossed plasticard previously. In 2mm brick courses are so tiny that painting them is a real pain for me, but the brick papers look great. My only gripe is that you end up with a pattern on large pieces, but given the well documented problems with slaters brick sheets this might be less of a problem than mis aligned courses.

• 1 month later...

I have not been totally idle lately, just slow, with work and rebuild my bus taking a chunk of time. Have added some sky to the inside of the table and started the lor releif block of flats. I have also completed the wiring of the building lights. When I get a minute later in the week I will post some pictures. Sorry this is a boring text update.

• 3 weeks later...

As promised some new pictures. What you can't see in this set of pics is the factory roof is almost finished, with only touch up on thew card joins to do. Having missed some nice natural daylight today I did some night shots to show off the interior work I have done.

post-9516-0-38094400-1316631805.jpg

The exterior first, I was quite pleased with the slightly damp sheen on the cobbles, looks like dew fall (almost!)

post-9516-0-71420300-1316631878.jpg

Interior detail of the stores and machining floors, The upstairs machines are simple 2d cut out pictures, including Babbage's computer.

post-9516-0-96113200-1316631975.jpg

4561 snapped lurking in the yard between duties, firebox doors shut (curse lack of space for firebox glow light!)

post-9516-0-31796300-1316632061.jpg

Creeping through a hole in the yard fencing our intrepid photographer sneaks a shot from the yard whilst the crew are having a brew and warming themselves up in a nearby gangers hut...

On the new industrial unit side of the road I need to put some resistors in a and fill a few little gaps before taking pictures.

Whilst I was stuck at home recovering from the Migraine that wiped me out yesterday I took a few pictures of the factory in daylight.

post-9516-0-90810200-1316782176.jpg

post-9516-0-92809100-1316782215.jpg

post-9516-0-82301500-1316782240.jpg

Last one shows the gaugemaster sky glued to the inside of the table. This needs some building outlines to put against it, hopefully I can snap some industrial buildings and a bit of 60's grot to blend it all in.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the nearly finished embankment. There are a few bald spots and some brambles to be done, but overall it worked ok. I am still not happy with the amount of lift being provided to the fibres by my home made static machine, some work required there too.

4561 now has DG couplings, the latches only, which are much better looking than the ugly rapido and worked in testing.

post-9516-0-67310800-1317990296.jpg

An overall view of the embankment end. I will blend it into the sky with some 2d buildings on the skyline.

post-9516-0-40646900-1317990430.jpg

With the warehouse in place. The blank space in the middle is going to be the coal yard, i have some chainlink fence on order, I supposed the victorian railings had been removed in the wartime scrap drive, so I can get away with a more modern fence. It also should blend in with the mixed era feel, with 50's and victorian mixed, that I feel is quite accurate for townscapes in the era.

post-9516-0-44077300-1317990834.jpg

Short end, which is mostly hidden. Still capping stones to do on the pillars.

post-9516-0-27262300-1317990939.jpg

Long end. The brambles will be used to blend in the top wall.

post-9516-0-30106300-1317991020.jpg

4561 again, showing the wing walls and annoying colour discrepancy between 2 prints of brick paper.

Thankfully it's only really visible in daylight. Just looking out for a power supply in the charity shop then I will be almost done except for people and vehicles. Put the gutters and down pipes on the warehouse today as well. 5526 seems to be better again, I did some very careful oiling and looked again at the motion, am still not sure it's perfect but hasn't locked again.

I might look at a 37 with sound for this eventually.

That's a hugely open ended question. There are lots of real world factors affecting where the lights would be. How much of the area do you expect to be lit. With my lighting engineer hat on > To achieve a reasonable level of light you would need more than two double head lights for the whole area, unless they are powerful flood lights on high mast systems. This is something that would not have been installed.

Under the assumption the lights in question would have been installed in the middle of the last century I think one likely scenario is to have them spaced along the 'road' in front of the units. Another would be one near to the road entrance of the yard and another 'where it would have been most needed' if they had been direct replacements of older lights.

I was thinking of putting in 2 single street lamps on the road side, but 1 double sided lamp by the gate would make sense. Having thought on your suggestion I have ordered 2 more lights to do the roadside.

Having sorted all that I worked pretty much all evening to sort out the wiring (don't look under the board again, ever...) for the lighting and put in some switches as well as the yard lights.

Here are the blackout results:

post-9516-0-92096000-1318458595.jpg

A view from the end of the road, showing a single GWR cattle van in the yard. The lights are Patronic ones from Express Models. They were very fine and didn't have over scale bulbs. The only problem seems to be stock, they are discontinuing these so they were on offer and I have heard that Patronics are slow at making more as they are hand made.

post-9516-0-06918100-1318458827.jpg

View from the road bridge, showing the lights from the factory as the night shift slog on..

post-9516-0-32706700-1318458860.jpg

a Pre-Grouping shot.

The road would not have necessarily been lit (street lighting is there only to improve safety, local authorities are empowered to provide it, but it is not a requirement) and the coal merchant might have either worked in daylight hours or used their own lamp when they were down at the yard during winter.

I love the look that you have now with just a couple of isolated lamps piercing the darkness but reckon a couple of extra lights will help you to see what you are doing when running under night mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean about the lights. I only decided to put these in when I realised how dark it is inside the table the layout is in, especially in my poorly lit house!

They seem to produce quite natural effects too, especially with a slightly longer exposure time. The only thing now is that there are lots of small, delicate scenic items for me to break when working inside the table or when taking the board out. I have been building a p d marsh fruit d for this, which is a proper little git of a kit to put together. All the remaining work is small and fiddly now tho.

Archived