C&L Finescale OO or EM

Matador

I,m Building a Branch line 12' x 18" the track will not be able to be viewed head on or from directly above as the baseboard height will be 54" in height so to make life easier from a changing all the wheels over to EM situation I was thinking of using C&L Finescale OO track (it looks the same from where the track will be viewed) any ideas appreciated

David

There is a possible problem with C and L finescale track>I have used it in em for a while and some older Romford wheels and indeed some of the newer Hornby finer profile wheels hit the chairs.Not a problem with RP25 wheels,and generally i have only had to change a few wheelsets. i am not sure if there would be a problem with 00, maybe buy a length and test it

robert

• RMweb Gold

There is so much more to a railway than the gauge. If you feel happy with 00 finescale go ahead. You should find that most modern stuff will run on it with no problems. However some older models may have problems. You may also find you need to be a bit more fussy about wheel back to back settings and may have to adjust some sets. Part of the price for better running.

Don

I build turnouts in both EM & 00. EM does have the edge only because of the finer standards involved. However the 00 boys have come up with 00SF (EM -2mm)which uses EM standards but in 00 and you can use stock straight out of the box.

Not wanting to annoy or start a war of words with those who use ready made points, but coming back to the question of looks, a turnout built to a prototype plan whether its in 00/00SF/EM/P4 looks far better than most of those which come out of a packed based on 00/H0 standards.

Could not agree more, it is fortunate that there are a few who build prototype pattern points and sell them, on ebay for example. Hayfield golfer is one such and I have bought a number of his they are to emgs patterns and work well, if you are a rubbish solderer like me these guys are essential. Marcway points are to 00radii but emangles they are a bit short but I have found these to look and act good. I just wish that my soldering skills were better then i could build my own but my eyesight for a start mitigates against that.

• RMweb Gold

If you have neither the skills or the inclination to build trackwork so be it. However with handbuilt trackwork you can achieve a natural flow. Personally I enjoy building pointwork.

Don

I am a Brit and a Pro Modeller here in the USA so soldering is not a problem, I am trying to go the easy route ie: not having to change the wheels on Locos etc. Because of its physical height I will not be able to look down on the track so as long as the side profile looks the same I thought that I would be ok with C&L finescale track. I guess I,m trying to talk myself into an easy way out of changing wheels etc. What is an acceptable min radius for say a Class 5 in EM the radius into the fiddle yard will be 24"

David

• RMweb Premium

I am a Brit and a Pro Modeller here in the USA so soldering is not a problem, I am trying to go the easy route ie: not having to change the wheels on Locos etc. Because of its physical height I will not be able to look down on the track so as long as the side profile looks the same I thought that I would be ok with C&L finescale track. I guess I,m trying to talk myself into an easy way out of changing wheels etc. What is an acceptable min radius for say a Class 5 in EM the radius into the fiddle yard will be 24"

David

The minimum radius for a steam loco varies dependant on how much side play there is in the wheelsets and the position of bogie pivots etc. also steps can be a limiting factor. Try using a bit of plain track to see what radius your stock will go round before starting on turnouts.

HTH SS

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I work in EM both at home and with my club. Our minimum acceptable ruling radius is 42". I have seen 36" used, but you have to watch the side play on locos. Buffer locking is the same problem whether in OO/EM/P4 and is depends on the radius versus the coupling set up you are using. If you ever see a rather tasty GW layout called Great Shefford (built by a club and RMweb member) this was built in OO rather than EM (as its predecessor was) for exactly the reasons that Matador is thinking about.

Regards

Dave

Archived