Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway

Can the Irish railway group point a mere Scotsman in the right direction? I`m looking for information / books / photographs /cine film on the above subject in particular Buncrana station & trackplan. Not been able to find too much on the web although the L&LSR apparently still exists as a bus company.

Hi,

Here are a couple of books which contain some info on the LLSR; they are out of print but may be available secondhand.

Tom Ferris irish Narrow Gauge Vol 2 pub 1995 by Midland Publishing Contains a useful history and maps (no track diagrams) and some excellent photographs including one of Buncrana stn.

EM Patterson the Londonderry and Lougn Swilly Railway; the definite history published in the late 60s by David & Charles; I don't have a copy, though read it years ago and I think it may have some station diagrams. Pretty rare now. There was some talk of a new revised edition but I am not aware of anything recently coming out.

You're right that the company still exists, running buses which serve the northern part of County Donegal. The last bit of the railway closed in 1955. Unlike the Co. Donegal railway to the south, the LLSR never tried diesel railcars to keep operations going, preferring to shut the lines and switch to buses - probably the right decision for the company.

Good luck in your hunt.

Colm Flanagan

• RMweb Premium

Another book recomendation is The Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway, by JICBoyd, ublished by Bradford Barton, ISBN 085153 447 3

Its one of their "square" photo album series, and should supply much of the information you need. It contains photos of Buncrana, and plan as a single platform terminus.

From a modelling point of view, this is probably the most usefull book. But again, its long out of print so a good trawl of the secondhand dealers if needed.

Good Luck!

Dave.

Hi,

Here are a couple of books which contain some info on the LLSR; they are out of print but may be available secondhand.

Tom Ferris irish Narrow Gauge Vol 2 pub 1995 by Midland Publishing Contains a useful history and maps (no track diagrams) and some excellent photographs including one of Buncrana stn.

EM Patterson the Londonderry and Lougn Swilly Railway; the definite history published in the late 60s by David & Charles; I don't have a copy, though read it years ago and I think it may have some station diagrams. Pretty rare now. There was some talk of a new revised edition but I am not aware of anything recently coming out.

You're right that the company still exists, running buses which serve the northern part of County Donegal. The last bit of the railway closed in 1955. Unlike the Co. Donegal railway to the south, the LLSR never tried diesel railcars to keep operations going, preferring to shut the lines and switch to buses - probably the right decision for the company.

Good luck in your hunt.

Colm Flanagan

Thanks Colm, Look out second hand book stores- the hunt is on

Another book recomendation is The Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway, by JICBoyd, ublished by Bradford Barton, ISBN 085153 447 3

Its one of their "square" photo album series, and should supply much of the information you need. It contains photos of Buncrana, and plan as a single platform terminus.

From a modelling point of view, this is probably the most usefull book. But again, its long out of print so a good trawl of the secondhand dealers if needed.

Good Luck!

Dave.

Thanks for that Dave, duly added to my list. Intrested to read it contains a plan as a single platform terminus, the plan that I saw many years ago in one of the railway magazines showed Buncrana station as being inside a triangular junction with one leg feeding a steamer pier. Got loads of options here I think.

Hello,

The County Donegal Railway Restoration website is well worth a look: http://www.donegalrailway.com/

There's a lot of historical information on the Lough Swilly (and also the County Donegal) There are trackplans for much of the County Donegal and they intend to add plans for the Swilly too at some point.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Well done Alan, hit the jackpot here there is a shedload of information even a section for modellers with whats avalible in various scales, drawings where to find them ect. great find Alan.

Thanks for that Dave, duly added to my list. Intrested to read it contains a plan as a single platform terminus, the plan that I saw many years ago in one of the railway magazines showed Buncrana station as being inside a triangular junction with one leg feeding a steamer pier. Got loads of options here I think.

The station with the rail served pier sounds like Fahan one time terminus of the line in broad gauge days. Boyds book is probably the most usefull as it also includes several drawingss of locos and stock .

John

The station with the rail served pier sounds like Fahan one time terminus of the line in broad gauge days. Boyds book is probably the most usefull as it also includes several drawingss of locos and stock .

John

John

The article I read in the railway magazine (20 plus years ago) was titled" The other James Bond" and was about the stationmaster at Buncrana, several photo`s and a track plan were included. If my memory serves me correctly the rail leg serving the pier stopped short of it, I need to find a copy of Boyds book to confirm this.

P.S. just found a video on youtube Lough Swilly Railway - Burtonport by steam train 1940`s 2.19

thanks for your intrest

Just feed the ISBN number for Boyds book into the Abebooks site ( http://www.abebooks.co.uk/ ) and you will find several copies available.

Brian

Brian

Got to say I`m impressed with the Irish Railway Group, not only will they point you in the right direction, they will find the shop that sells the rare book your looking for

The most current book on the Swilly is "Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway"By Steve Flanders Published By Midland Publishing,now part of Ian Allan ISBN 1 85780 073 7.Theres some usfull stuff in James Boyds Saga by Rail:Ireland,Published by Oakwood.Worsley and Alphagrahfix do a range of kits for various locos coaches and wagons.Only built one Swilly layout so far (Bridge End),but some lovely but bleak stations to model.Incidently the Swilly is probably one of if not the oldest company still in the transport business.More info avaliable if required.Andy

• 4 weeks later...

....the LLSR never tried diesel railcars to keep operations going, preferring to shut the lines and switch to buses - probably the right decision for the company.

They did ask the CDR whether the latter would be willing to take over their railway operation. The CDR weren't interested (probably because they knew what lay beneath)!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Only just found this group. Re books - most have been mentioned but there's also The Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway Visitors' Guide produced by the County DOnegal Railway Restoration Society (forerunner of CDRRL) about 1996 and still showing on the CDRRL website previously referenced. It's a series of tours around the old system highlighting remains but contains some historical information, photos and trackplans. There is also some footage of the Lough Swilly in the Midland Series of Irish Railway Videos of the 1990s, subsequently released as CDs by Ian Allan and again listed on the CDRRL site (shop). The main one is No 3 "The Irish Narrow Gauge" but there is also a small amount of footage on No 9 Baltimore to Belfast.

Joe

John

The article I read in the railway magazine (20 plus years ago) was titled" The other James Bond" and was about the stationmaster at Buncrana, several photo`s and a track plan were included. If my memory serves me correctly the rail leg serving the pier stopped short of it, I need to find a copy of Boyds book to confirm this.

P.S. just found a video on youtube Lough Swilly Railway - Burtonport by steam train 1940`s 2.19

thanks for your intrest

Lochty,

The other James Bond was stationmaster at Fahan, south of Buncrana which did have a loop to the pier. This was not the original broad gauge terminus - that was Farland pier, further to the south.

Joe

• 2 months later...

Lochty,

The other James Bond was stationmaster at Fahan, south of Buncrana which did have a loop to the pier. This was not the original broad gauge terminus - that was Farland pier, further to the south.

Joe

This comes as a shock - memory is not infalable - I have the sneaking suspicion you are right - David Jackson kindly e-mailed me the track plans of Buncrana station which had me questioning my sanity, it`s a pity Ireland doesn`t have the equivelant of "Old maps.co.uk" which is a great tool for information on historical track plans ( use the 1:2500 maps they show track layouts in superb detail )

This comes as a shock - memory is not infalable - I have the sneaking suspicion you are right - David Jackson kindly e-mailed me the track plans of Buncrana station which had me questioning my sanity, it`s a pity Ireland doesn`t have the equivelant of "Old maps.co.uk" which is a great tool for information on historical track plans ( use the 1:2500 maps they show track layouts in superb detail )

There seems to be a little confusion over Fahan and Buncrana. The two places are some 3 miles apart, Fahan being the first station on the line from Buncrana to Londonderry. Fahan did have a siding which ended up on a pier, but Buncrana never did have a connection to the harbour.

• 1 month later...

There seems to be a little confusion over Fahan and Buncrana. The two places are some 3 miles apart, Fahan being the first station on the line from Buncrana to Londonderry. Fahan did have a siding which ended up on a pier, but Buncrana never did have a connection to the harbour.

The confusion is mine, after checking it out on maps. osi.ie web site it is Fahan not Buncrana that I was thinking of. Thanks for setting me strait on this.

• 3 years later...

Not been able to find too much on the web although the L&LSR apparently still exists as a bus company.

Alas, the L&LSR now no longer exists in any form. Two years ago it was wound up due to tax debts.

Liquidation of company and end of bus operations

In March 2014,HM Revenue & Customs petitioned the High Court to wind up the company due to substantial debts owed to them and other creditors. The company subsequently went into liquidation and ceased trading on 18 April 2014 with the loss of 80 jobs, 60 in Donegal and a further 20 in Derry. Bus Eireann and Ulsterbus are expected to take over some of the routes, with a goal to ensuring transportation after the Easter holidays for the 2,000 schoolchildren who previously depended upon Lough Swilly services. The last bus services operated on the evening of Saturday 19 April. Some of the routes will be temporarily maintained by other operators.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colourpoint Books have been revising and reprinting the various Irish narrow gauge railway books by Dr. E.M. Patterson. The noticeable omission is "The Lough Swilly Railway" but emailing Colourpoint last week, I was told it's definitely under consideration.  If it's done to the standard of the others, it'll be worth waiting for.

http://www.colourpointbooks.co.uk/

If you don't want to wait, the 1988 David & Charles reprint is available fairly reasonably secondhand. ISBN 0 7153 9167 4

I also recommend "The Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway" by J.I.C. Boyd. My copy cost me £13 and was in pristine condition so it shouldn't be wildly expensive through Abebooks or Amazon.  ISBN 085153 447 3

Very good photos and drawings.

Mark

• 1 year later...

According the the colourpoint website a new edition of Dr Patterson's book will

soon be in print.

http://www.colourpointbooks.co.uk/more_details.php?id=1945

The Lough Swilly Railway
Revised edition with additional material by Joe Begley and Steve Flanders
By Dr EM Patterson

Price:
£18.00

FORTHCOMING - DUE Nov 2017

This is a new edition of Dr EM Patterson’s second volume on the history of the narrow-guage railways of north-west Ireland.

The detailed story charts the origins and development of this unique line including the Letterkenny Railway, re-guaging decisions and the Burtonport extension.

There is a new, valuable chapter of interviews and memories from some of the surviving workers and others who had contact with the railway and a chapter on the Lough Swilly Railway today And also now including many additional Glover drawings of locomotive, carriage and wagon stock.

John

Archived