Etched loco chassis

Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

Depends on the glue. I bought some industrial strength cyanoacrylate at a show. It claimed it would be stronger as a  joint than the material it was joining. I was very skeptical. One of the belts on my bandsaw broke, and as spares were unobtainable, I was forced to glue it back together with a butt joint. Five years later it is still going.

Chris

Actually, cyanoacrylates are the adhesive of choice for these applications: it is used for gluing the ends of the rubber tyres on 4" scale traction engines and these don't break. Being 'stronger' than a flexible belt material is a relative compliment.

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Depends on the glue. I bought some industrial strength cyanoacrylate at a show. It claimed it would be stronger as a  joint than the material it was joining. I was very skeptical. One of the belts on my bandsaw broke, and as spares were unobtainable, I was forced to glue it back together with a butt joint. Five years later it is still going.

Chris

What's been amply illustrated to me in the past few months of building work is the difference between "DIY" materials and tools, and what the professionals choose to use.

DIY products are deliberately made easier/simpler to use but there's a trade off in strength and convenience.  Glues and fillers definitely show up the variation.

Mark

I think you seriously under estimate what a three thumbed klutz I'm   :crazy:

You and me both, but since investing in an RSU I've found I can achieve the kind of quality in soldering that previously I only ever aspired to.

If there were a show called Desert Island Kits it would be my luxury item (solar powered of course) :-)

You and me both, but since investing in an RSU I've found I can achieve the kind of quality in soldering that previously I only ever aspired to.

If there were a show called Desert Island Kits it would be my luxury item (solar powered of course) :-)

Same here. My 'conventional' soldering is average to poor (except soldered track where I seem to manage OK). When Tim Shackleton saw the soldering on my 4mm CCT kit brakegear (done with the RSU) he asked how on earth I managed it.

The answer is simple. Choose the correct tool for the job.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

I love the suggestion - Desert Island Kits!

We should start a separate thread to discuss our eight favourite must-take-with-us kits. With choice of an additional modelling book and a 'luxury' tool (a basic equiped workbench is already provided) to take with us. Could be most entertaining!  :derisive:

Actually, cyanoacrylates are the adhesive of choice for these applications: it is used for gluing the ends of the rubber tyres on 4" scale traction engines and these don't break. Being 'stronger' than a flexible belt material is a relative compliment.

Tim

The company I work for glues parts together and then puts them through several grinding operations. They stayed glued, so it's definitely a case of choosing the right glue for the job.

• RMweb Gold

Much wailing and grinding ( nashing) of teeth I fear - such lovely work shown I can only say getting the right tool or glues is really a good basic idea they just do not need to be bought at the same time -as skills improve tool choice improves and with some savings a good investment will last years.

Well done everybody please keep the inspirational   "juices" flowing

Robert

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Siroflex SX is used by the building trade for plastics. I casme across it from a supplier of plastic sections for the trade. It now seems to be more widely available. Loctite do some for metals but at a price.

Don

All of the following are ready to be produced. However I am awaiting confirmation from the Association as to which if any will be shop items. If not, then I will be placing an item in the December Newsletter to sell them on a one-off limited edition basis.

Wagon underframes:
    LNWR 9'
    LNWR 9'9"
    LYR 10'6"
    LYR 12'

NPCS underframes:
    BR CCT (for Farish body)
    SR BY (for Dapol body)

Coach bogies
    MR 10' Bain

Loco replacement chassis
    GWR 51XX
    GWR 28XX
    GWR Hall/Grange/Manor

These items will in any case be a one-off offering direct from me:
    GWR 44XX etched chassis
    Etched underframes and bogies for the Dapol Maunsell caches
    LNWR Coal Tank chassis

Chris

Any update Chris please - I'm after the 51xx chassis.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just getting to grips with the final details on my LSWR G6 and O2 chassis (to go with the N Brass body) and found these two very useful downloads.

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/Southern%2002%20Chassis%20instructions%20booklet%20print%20off%20pdf%20small.pdf

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/Southern%2002%20body%20instructions%20booklet%20print%20off%20pdf%20small.pdf

Sadly my 2mm chassis are looking a it basic now compared to this beauty.

Chris

Hi Chris,

When do you think the Farish 08 chassis etches might be back in the shop - I assume there has been a bit of a run on them following the 2mm mag article.

Many thanks

Guy

They are already there. I sent 8 a week ago. The web page tends to lag behind with stock availability.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

They are already there. I sent 8 a week ago. The web page tends to lag behind with stock availability.

Chris

Hi

The shopkeeper for that shop been away for the whole of February which might explain the delay.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

The shopkeeper for that shop been away for the whole of February which might explain the delay.

Cheers

Paul

He's back now though, as he confirmed the safe arrival of the chassis. I delayed sending them so he would be back.  So I think if you put in the order it should get supplied.

The webpages are done centrally as I understand it, and there being (unsurprisingly) no real-time link to stock levels, only get updated every so often. As the shops do back-orders now,  it is probably easier just to order even if shown as out-of-stock, and wait until it arrives.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my design for a 3D-printed radial truck. The idea is that you just plug two Association bearings into the holes in the truck proper, and the truck holder is glued into the slot in the frames. I'll have to get one made and see if the truck slides smoothly enough within the holder, or if the friction is too high, and I have to make etched parts to fold up and provided the actual sliding surfaces.

The radial truck is universal, it should be useable in any loco requiring one.

Any ideas on how to hold the truck in so it doesn't keep falling out?

post-1605-0-06247700-1489829686.pngpost-1605-0-94623100-1489829693.pngpost-1605-0-74142800-1489829705.png

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

A single piece of brass or p/b wire folded into a sort of seriffed U shape and mounted along the c/l axis of the loco under the moulding. Grooves and the start of holes fore and aft on the moulding would help to spring the wire into, and then keep it in, place. Presumably it only needs to keep the radial truck in place when the loco is lifted.