A pair of SR vans for the milk train

Many months ago, I began the process of rebuilding an ancient Ratio Bogie B that had really suffered from warping, the sides were so badly bowed that nothing but the scrap bin was possible. However, a sheet of .060 plasticard and a few bulkheads later, the van began to straighten out. That true savant of South Somerset, Neil Kinison folded up his favourite MJT bogies and some donor Bachmann sides (and wheels) made the old girl roll perfectly. The generosity of some always surprises and Peco provided a new etched fret to replace those lost over the years whilst Brian Mosby worked his magic by completing the van.

Before (but with the new bulkheads) and after

20110627_Bogie_Bb.jpg

20110627_Bogie_B_1600.jpg

And now for the other van, an equally venerable Tri-ang Utlity Van which although inaccurate, is a pleasure to behold at 40-years young. Dave Hamersley's updates do improve the old lady but I live in hope that Hornby will eventually replace her with something that compliments their sublime Maunsells.

20110627_Utility_1600.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Tim

They certainly look very nice indeed, Brian certainly has doine a very nice job.

Here are a couple of shots of mine to bring a bit of green to the thread...B)

post-243-0-28678200-1309332427_thumb.jpg

Yes I know in this shot a buffer head is missing and in the one below was taken before the final decals and light weathering were applied

post-243-0-53916200-1309332436_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-52046400-1309332460_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-40699800-1309332467_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Whilst the Van B makes a fine model the raised plank lines on the Utility Van make it look a bit odd to me (like its clad in clapper board). How do you find it looks in real life (photos can be so cruel)

Excellent paint jobs, by the way :good_mini:

Hi,

It is a pragmatic choice, I do not know if anyone offers a SR Utility bogie van apart from the old Tri-ang version and if there has been a kit, it is long gone. Therefore I treat the result as being inaccurate but acceptable until something better comes along. It was not until Graham brought the matter to my attention that I was aware of the raised planking joints therefore it must not have caused me any concern since the early 70's but now that I know about the problem, what are the options?

As a working layout vehicle, it does it job, same as the other more recent offerings which are flawed but nevertheless work for a living.

That said, I do not run any of the Hornby offerings that have been superceeded by better models, you will not find any of the old Margate coaches because something better is available.

Surely, this is the pragmatic answer that most modellers find acceptable?

Thanks

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Surely, this is the pragmatic answer that most modellers find acceptable?

Well that's what I do, detail and upgrade and if the detailing work is just as good (or better), than the new model keep with it. The Bachmann Cattle vans are a good example, I know it is over-scale, but bar that it isn't a bad model and I certainly wouldn't not use the ones that were bought as a gift.

Regards,

Nick.

Maroon, carmine or green, blue axlebox covers are a bit GWR-ish....:D

I agree the completed models do look fine. I wonder why this type of van has never been upgraded. Indeed there is also the corridor connection version but they are difficult ones to do as kits unless the roof is a dedicated plastic moulding for a 7' 10¾" wide body.

Archived