Storing your stock (for a few years)

evening all!

time is drawing near to be moving out of parents house and in with the ladyfriend :yahoo:

due to the obvious lack of space that were going to come across - i need somewhere to store things like my locos etc... - now as i see it there going into 1 of three places - staying in my room, the loft, or a garage (either the one here or one i may rent to keep my bike in (i may be looking at having to get a train and cycle the last few miles to work)

anyway back the point - at the moment everything is wrapped in bubble wrap and in cardboard boxes under the bed and it all seems happy im just thinking about the long term preservation of these items - will bubble wrap in boxes do? i can understand in the garage damp may get to it in which case ill put individual items in a air tight plastic bag thing - and theres always boxfiles and foam that i could use etc....

any views on this? also does anyone know where the other storage topics are on here - ive looked for that boxfile one but couldnt see it

- Ash

If it'spossible I'd suggest talking to your parents to see if you can keep them in the location where you have them now. This will give you a bit of time to find a bigger location to get a new layout/storage.

• RMweb Premium

IMO it's probably not a good idea to keep them in bubble wrap, especially sealed and in somewhere like a loft or garage. The temperature variations could cause condensation build up which might damage either paintwork or mechanisms.

If you can, keep them somewhere dry and at an even normal temperature (somewhere between 15-22 degrees Celsius). That means somewhere like a normal room in an occupied house. If possible wrap them in acid free tissue paper as this can help to protect paintwork as well.

Possibly a little OT but worth storing loco bodies separate to their chassis, especially early batches of Heljan 47s and Hornby 31s to prevent damage to the body if mazak rot sets in. If the models are in long term storage you'll not be able to check them regularly.

good tips guys

im going to look for some acid free paper in town today - i think the local shop has some :) ive a funny feeling they'll be going into the loft but i think theres a nice shady corner up there lol - will have to get another box to store my new arrivals in work shoud have some

managed to get a good lot of paper :) storage will start in a few months i expect - permission to keep stuff at the parents has been obtained - yay possible in a metal sailing trunk i may inherit. many thanks for the tips guys but now i move on to a different type of storage......

unfortunately a close member of my family passed away this week and ive decided to remember them by sticking a custom made nameplate to the side of a Bachmann 9F.

what im trying to find is either ready built storage boxes or a company (maybe a carpenters - if they still exist?) that can build boxes to a specification that will hold a 9f and 4 coaches. im looking at getting a nice box - possibly wood - presentation wise (sort of a private special edition thing) so it could be a showpiece etc....

does anybody know of anything that could help?

ooh i didn't know they did that :O

i had one before but only had lego in it lol - i think only boxed stuff will go in the trunk - any unboxed models will be wrapped in acid free tissue and (light wrapped) bubblewrap on the outside - i think that should be enough to protect from damage?

Archived