The Burr Dock Light Railway

Nic Arthur

Hello i've been lurking on the forums for some years but not posted.

I decided to build my first layout, a 009 layout fictionally set in Scotland.

The layout is DCC and operational from the front or the back as its wireless dcc, all the points are also operated via DCC.

I used N-gauge track as i was on a budget and had lots lying about from a previous failed project.

Its probably not to everyone's liking and i certainly fail when it comes to getting things right but its a work in progress and my first attempt at any modelling especially railway modelling.+

Wiring of the Switchpilot which at first gave me some trouble but then i supplied it with its own power supply and they work well.

imag0145q.jpg

Over view of the layout from the rear and my Dynamis on test. Its not a bad DCC controller however i could see its limitations perhaps on a larger layout it lacks a bit of power at only 2amps max if that.

imag0147n.jpg

Backboard fitted..

imag0149os.jpg

I needed a solution for a bridge so i used n-gauge track and soldered some bridge supports in probably against some peoples liking but hey ho! it works for me.

p1040265g.jpg

I decided to make all the trees again didn't really have the funds to be buying trees..this was my first attempt at a pine looking tree of sorts..

scotspine1.jpg

And this is where i'm up to at the moment.

p1010638a.jpg

Note the white tops are still drying on the wooden piers so they aren't painted.

burrdocks.jpg

p1010634d.jpg

My attempt at grass.

grassdock.jpg

Looking from the other end up the line.

p1010650z.jpg

And last but not least Burr Docks only operational loco at the moment " Thistle "

dandelione.jpg

I hope its of some interest in hindsight i'd probably do some things a bit different but i'm loathed to rip it up and start again.

Nic.

• RMweb Gold

I think this is lovely. Your bridge supports aren't so very different from those on a drawing I have for the Rio Grande Southern, but making them from rail instead of wood is clever. The wiring for the Switchpilots looks complex yet obviously successful. Unusually for a first layout you only have one loco,yet have mastered wireless DCC. Plenty to be proud of here.

EDIT : Only your name disappoints - shouldn't you be Dan D Lion?

Thanks for the kind replies. The layout is 5ft long and around 2ft 3inches wide. If i'm honest i don't know half as much about railways as most folks. Fifteen or so years ago my Grandad had a large railway so as a kid i was hooked.

I decided i liked 00 gauge 4mm / ft but also wanted to have a portable, exhibitable railway, so 009 really appealed. Aside from that i've read a book Discovering Britain's Little Trains and joined the 009 society about a year ago or so.

There is a fiddle yard and because the whole layout is DCC and wirless everything can be operated front, back , side it doesn't matter really which i think might be a huge benefit if exhibiting and storing at home.

Future plans really are to exhibit if there is interest.

Next stages of the layout are to build the buildings and station platform tone down the cobbles, oh i'm also looking for a boat kit be it a hull that i can build up on or a whole kit of a Barge with sails or something like a Luger with sails or a Motor boat with sails fishing style boat. The layout is based in 1928 so a boat from 1890's upwards will do any suggestions please chime in.

Thanks again. Nic.

• 2 months later...

Few developments..

Overall plan of the layout.

p1010674n.jpg

i've added a photo background.The biggest issue is the joins, i've spent hours getting them as close as i can , however i'm happy with the results and it photo's better at a distance.

You may also notice my new water tower next to the locoshed and a new ticket office leading down to the station.

p1040434y.jpg

And at a distance

p1040439l.jpg

:-)

EDIT: It should be noted the layout will be painted black all around however i use the sides as a pallet whilst i model hence the lovely aray of drab colours.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Memebers of NGRM will have seen these photo's but its been a while since i updated RM, so here's some photo's still lots to do as ever with a model railway i guess.

Control panel almost finished just the fiddle yard to go..

7636030866_1a69c4c413.jpg

Control Panel installed by Burrdock, on Flickr

You might notice the new white building this replaced my bodge job smoke house as a small fish/store house!

The goods shed has also had a small office built onto it over the window that didn't look right! A corrugated canopy has been added, (still all to be glued)

7633577880_a0970d5e62.jpg

Dock/goods shed by Burrdock, on Flickr

And lastly a new building has been built in the background behind the fish/store house it will become part of a small street scene leading to the sation either as a residents hours or pub/hotel.

7633578526_fe03317595.jpg

Fish store by Burrdock, on Flickr

7721103026_6a1dc9e021.jpg

burrd2 by Burrdock, on Flickr

7721102144_25d3aedd6b.jpg

burrd3 by Burrdock, on Flickr

7721101290_7417cfb75e.jpg

burrd4 by Burrdock, on Flickr

And finally just three shots i thought we're quite nice

7721100374_0561a549f9.jpg

burrs2 by Burrdock, on Flickr

7721098574_afcbeb118d.jpg