Two more Atlas Locos for Sweethome Alabama

Jon Grant 4472

Hello all

I've been busy detailling and weathering a couple more locomotives for Sweethome Alabama' diesel roster.

First up is an SD35 in Seaboard Coast Line black/yellow, patched into CSXT and dates up to about 1992. Although I have no evidence these ran in labama at that time, and those that were running were on yard duty after re-gearing, I liked the loco and the livery enough to get one for the layout

IMG_7205.JPG

As bought, the Atlas loco was in original SCL livery with vertical 'Atlantic Coast Line' lettering. I distressed the yellow stripes, replaced the 'Seaboard Coast Line with the later lettering, detailled it further and added Tsunami sound.

Here are some photos of the almost complete loco.

SWA_June_2011_031.jpg

SWA_June_2011_032.jpg

SWA_June_2011_035.jpg

SWA_June_2011_045.jpg

SWA_June_2011_050.jpg

Next up is a high hood Atlas B23-7 in Southern paint

Jon

The second loco is an Atlas B23-7 in Southern livery with High short hood and factory fitted sound.

IMG_8095.JPG

Although very nicely done, the SOU paint does not fit the timescale of the layout so I decided to repaint it into Norfolk Southern livery. Modelling Alabama, the natural choice for a B23-7 was the one leased to the Pine Belt Southern which operated in the Opelika region of AL.

The main detailling was on the pilots, although a new horn will be fitted at some stage. Here are the photos.

SWA_June_2011_029.jpg

SWA_June_2011_021.jpg

SWA_June_2011_0151.jpg

SWA_June_2011_0021.jpg

SWA_June_2011_0061.jpg

Next up on the workbench are a CSX GP30 with a yellow end and a NS MP15

Jon

that second one is a really nice looking loco!

I hate those boxy US loco's like the first one (not to be down about yours though) but the style in the second is one I like, really well done

you would probably like the Alco RS line, very beautiful locos.

you would probably like the Alco RS line, very beautiful locos.

Seconded!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Jon,

Lovely work there, I too really like the 3986 - you've done a great job!

While I do like EMD's, I find these big 4 axle GE's to be real hulking brutes - love 'em!

:drinks:

John E.

I managed to practically complete another diesel over the weekend, this time a P2K CSX GP30.

It started out as a standard GP30 in the third CSX paint scheme but I wanted to add some yellow ends, to represent the 4th and a half scheme - where CSX just added one or two yellow ends (and sometimes other bits) to locomotives painted in the previous CSX and predecessor schemes.

Here's the original loco from Proto 2000

IMG_7022.JPG

I masked off the loco, leaving the ends bare, sprayed them yellow, added some details and a Quantum Revolution sound decoder with GP30 engine sounds. Here's the result. I also managed to pick up an Overland M920 CSX caboose today at the local swapmeet to complement the loco. (it actually cost more than sone of the sound-fitte locos on sale at the meet, but it is just what I've been looking for)

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_02131.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_01921.JPG

.....and a couple of the caboose

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_01961.JPG

Jon

Yellow is usually an awful colour to paint - did you undercoat the CSX loco noses first?

I like the ditch lights on the Alco - I take it they're after-market additions too. Do they work? This feels like a silly question, since anyone with DCC Sound will probably do this anyway - but if so, do they work like real ditch lights, with alternate flashing options etc, and if so how do you program them to do it??

Yellow is usually an awful colour to paint - did you undercoat the CSX loco noses first?

I like the ditch lights on the Alco - I take it they're after-market additions too. Do they work? This feels like a silly question, since anyone with DCC Sound will probably do this anyway - but if so, do they work like real ditch lights, with alternate flashing options etc, and if so how do you program them to do it??

I undercoated the nose with white before spraying on the yellow

The ditch lights are non-working as there are no spare functions on the factory installed sound decoder. There's a bit of room inside the B23-7 shell to add another decoder and add ditchlights with bulbs but that's something for the future. Programming ditchlights differs between decoder manufacturers and you need to consult the respective manual for instructions on which CVs to programme and with what amount.

Jon

I see you've added some slots in the battery boxes on the GP30. I've read about this mod before , but I can't remember what it was for, any ideas?

Lovely models all.

The slots were originally cut in by the B&O to make it easier to clean the battery terminals. I'm not sure what was used to clean the terminals though.

Jon

I'm not sure what was used to clean the terminals though.

I recall reading an article on Chessie GP40s in MR that said the slots allowed to battery terminals to be cleaned as the loco went through a loco wash.

All the best

Nick

Archived