Request Book Recommendation

Black 5 Bob

Hello, All.

I'm a stateside enthusiast with a keen interest in UK railways. I have been building my library of British titles, most of which collected thus far have been colour photo albums. At this point, I would like to acquire books which are geared more toward locomotive design, technical and operational information. I'm aware of several series of titles such as IA's "The Power of", "Diesels in Depth" and "Diesel Retrospective." I've also taken note of Irwell's series titled the "The Book of the". I would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations regarding series of titles which offer detailed discussions of the locomotives themselves.

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

Kind regards,

Robert

• RMweb Premium

Diesel's in Depth series would be an excellent addition. I only have one so far on the Class 24s and 25s. It contains details on the variations & reason behind the design changes. There are others on Class 40s & Westerns at least. Published by Ian Allan.

Going back a bit, there is the "British Rail ## Class Diesels" series from the early 80s. There are ones on the Class 20, 24/25, 26/27, 31, 33, 40 & 56 at least. These were published by D. Bradford Barton. While small volumes these contain interesting backgrounds on their operations.

Kevin Martin

Going back a bit, there is the "British Rail ## Class Diesels" series from the early 80s. There are ones on the Class 20, 24/25, 26/27, 31, 33, 40 & 56 at least. These were published by D. Bradford Barton. While small volumes these contain interesting backgrounds on their operations.

I'd endorse that; I have a few and the info, whilst reflecting the author's own perceptions, does tend to be 'from the time' and not the half-@r$ed assumptions and regurgitated myth and legend that nowadays surrounds so many diesel classes :unsure:

A very good series from the 1970s, still to be found s/h, was the David and Charles 'Locomotive Studies'. I have ones dealing with Sulzer engined locos, hydraulics, EE locos in general, one specifically on the Deltics (and Babies), and one on the history of the internal combustion loco; not sure if there were any others.

I'm not sure of the availabiiity but Brian Haresnape's soft cover IA 'BR Fleet Survey' series from the 80s are also authoritatively written

David N Clough's two (relatively) recent IA books, BR Standard Diesels of the 1960s and Diesel Pioneers are on my shelves, they also come from a refreshing perspective and are ones that I've not yet given the attention they deserve

I'd endorse that; I have a few and the info, whilst reflecting the author's own perceptions, does tend to be 'from the time' and not the half-@r$ed assumptions and regurgitated myth and legend that nowadays surrounds so many diesel classes :unsure:

A very good series from the 1970s, still to be found s/h, was the David and Charles 'Locomotive Studies'. I have ones dealing with Sulzer engined locos, hydraulics, EE locos in general, one specifically on the Deltics (and Babies), and one on the history of the internal combustion loco; not sure if there were any others.

I'm not sure of the availabiiity but Brian Haresnape's soft cover IA 'BR Fleet Survey' series from the 80s are also authoritatively written

David N Clough's two (relatively) recent IA books, BR Standard Diesels of the 1960s and Diesel Pioneers are on my shelves, they also come from a refreshing perspective and are ones that I've not yet given the attention they deserve

As Ian has said, the David & Charles books are very good and can often be found on Ebay. The have also done a book on the WCML AC electrics. The Haresnape Fleet Surveys are getting much harder to find nowadays. I bought a full set off Ebay for about 50 quid some years back, so Ebay is worth monitoring.

Another set of books which are still obtainable are the 'Power Of The.....' books and 'Class xx's At Work'. Also worth mentioning are the C.J.Marsden books on main line diesels loco's and main line electric loco's.

If you are interested in the Western Region then The Western's Hydraulics by JK Lewis (ISBN 9780906899731) is very good. It has a decent mix of historical and technical detail as well as photos of the assorted diesel hydraulics that predominated on the western region.

If you are interested in the Western Region then The Western's Hydraulics by JK Lewis (ISBN 9780906899731) is very good. It has a decent mix of historical and technical detail as well as photos of the assorted diesel hydraulics that predominated on the western region.

That is a goodun'.

Thank you for your replies. Last night, I ordered the Clough titles "Hydraulic vs Electric" and "British Rail Standard Diesels of the 1960s" from Amazon. I was hoping to order "Diesel Pioneers" as well but the lowest price I found was approximately $100 USD so I will shop around a bit. I plan to sample several of the other above recommendations as well.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Robert

Archived