Dunchurch Railway Station for sale...

I dare say there are quite a few folk on here who'd love to live in an old station given half the chance... I should add I've no connection to the agents selling this one but couldn't resist posting it on the forum...

http://www.crowhurst-gale.co.uk/sales_fulldetails.php?id=100017790

Just imagine the layout you could build in that big workshop....!

For me, it feels a bit odd looking at the pics as back in 1982 I used to work trains along the branch to Southam Cement Works. Aside from the price the only down side is the busy A45 dual carriageway is only a few hundred yards away. Still, a boy can dream can't he?

;)

Interesting. Although out of our price bracket I'd like to find a place with such a workshop. Was that a railway building or a later addition?

The decor is well suited to a 70s throwback with a liking for dog-poo brown though.

Interesting. Although out of our price bracket I'd like to find a place with such a workshop. Was that a railway building or a later addition?

The decor is well suited to a 70s throwback with a liking for dog-poo brown though.

I have a feeling in my water Andy that the workshop was once the rail connected dairy - my Great Uncle Harry Aland wrote a book about his life on the railway round these parts ('Country Station Life' published in 1980, can't find my copy!), and in it there's a photo of Dunchurch with this building just in shot, or what looks like it at any rate.

I wouldn't be looking at the decor that much - I'd be in the workshop building a layout ;)

Personally I don't think it's worth the price, most of the interesting internal features seem to have gone, leaving a fairly bland property all things considered. I can make out a bit of cornice in the photos that may be original, but that is about it. Oh yes, and I'd change the windows for something a little more suitable.

Then again I live in a station already...

I think it's way overpriced too, considering it still needs modernising internally. A few years ago I had the chance to buy Lilbourne Station house on the Rugby - Market Harborough line which was up for grabs at a fraction of the price, mind you, it too needed bringing into the 21st century ;)

• RMweb Gold

Wow lilbourne station my best mates brother bought that station building the same few years ago and he's totally gutted and modernised it with electricity and running water !!

What a small world this !!

I think it's way overpriced too, considering it still needs modernising internally. A few years ago I had the chance to buy Lilbourne Station house on the Rugby - Market Harborough line which was up for grabs at a fraction of the price, mind you, it too needed bringing into the 21st century ;)

Wow lilbourne station my best mates brother bought that station building the same few years ago and he's totally gutted and modernised it with electricity and running water !!

What a small world this !!

Thought it might ring a bell somewhere... ;)

I was offered it by (Driver) Gordon Mawby who was selling up after his dear old Mum who lived there had passed away. Drove by a few weeks back and noticed a nice extension at one end, mind you it needed it as the original building wasn't really that big. Gordon grewup there, his Dad was Signalman / Porter until the line shut in '66.

;)

Looks like it needs alot of work although tastefully done it could look excellent when finished.

my Great Uncle Harry Aland wrote a book about his life on the railway round these parts ('Country Station Life' published in 1980, can't find my copy!)

Very enjoyable read incidentally, I read it a couple of months ago.

• RMweb Premium

I dare say there are quite a few folk on here who'd love to live in an old station given half the chance... I should add I've no connection to the agents selling this one but couldn't resist posting it on the forum...

http://www.crowhurst-gale.co.uk/sales_fulldetails.php?id=100017790

To be honest I wouldn't have known that was an ex railway station if it didn't say so in the description. Looks like a whole lot of money for a place that needs a lot doing to it and with high running costs.

I wandered along today to confirm what I thought I could remember from previous visits and take a few photos that you won't see in the estate agents blurb. The photos were taken from the trackbed which is readily accessible and owned by Sustrans who want to improve it as part of their cycle network. At present it is quite overgrown and boggy, but passable in boots or wellies. The old station backs onto the trackbed.

post-7483-0-05028400-1310322985_thumb.jpg

post-7483-0-50618700-1310323362_thumb.jpg

The workshop area is at least protected by a fence.

post-7483-0-46916900-1310323451_thumb.jpg

On the upside, there is still a loading gauge in the old goods yard :)

post-7483-0-80982700-1310323665_thumb.jpg

By coincidence, I saw and bought a copy of the Harry Aland book from the Cov toyfair today. Thanks for bringing that to our attention Nidge.

Graham

Nice photos Graham, thanks for sharing those. It seems everyone else has a copy of Harry's book except me! I know where I can get one now though ;)

Incidentally - the very last train to travel down the branch was the weed killing train, driven by the aforementioned Driver Mawby!

It seems everyone else has a copy of Harry's book except me! I know where I can get one now though ;)

You're more than welcome to borrow the book...........errr.........just give me a wee while to read it myself first! :lol:

Cheers, Graham

• 1 year later...

I walked past Dunchurch Station again today and the old goods yard area is being worked on. The station house is behind the wooden fence.

post-7483-0-97682000-1343499823_thumb.jpg

I don't know what the plan is but the wood looks like sleepers........Dunchurch Light Railway anyone?

post-7483-0-00433500-1343500053_thumb.jpg

post-7483-0-93437600-1343500200_thumb.jpg

Graham

Hadn't noticed this thread until today's rebounce. I too remember being asked about Lilbourne station, at a wedding reception, by the wife of the couple who had bought it - obviously known to Cov Guard! "You know about railways, if they reopen the Great Central, how will it affect us?" ran the line of questioning. I also recall a rather more lavish later dialogue about said station, although champagne had then been taken, and my questions about 'original features' were somewhat in vain...

Imagine if there had been a chord connecting the GC to the Harborough line.... not geographically impossible!

Back to Dunchurch... I seem to recall there being a glimpse of the goods dock (as seen in Grahams pics) in Uncle Harry's book...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A couple of years later and there has been quite a transformation to the site. The old goods yard area has been levelled;

post-7483-0-65291400-1395098846_thumb.jpg

The loading gauge is still there........ :) 

post-7483-0-18517800-1395098986_thumb.jpg

The sleepers have been used to build fencing

post-7483-0-97307300-1395099109_thumb.jpg

But it is the work done to the trackbed which has made the biggest difference to walkers/cyclists. The new owners have cleared the vegetation, dug a drainage ditch and created a path with hardcore.

post-7483-0-46834200-1395099304_thumb.jpg

Previously, the station site was barely passable because of vegetation and bog. Now it is a dry stroll.    :)         Well it is until you get to the A45 bridge ...... 

Graham

Archived