Custom built wagons

Hope you can help me here guys. I have a very good friend who retires this year and I would like to get a custom built whisky wagon for him, I have naming in mind for it, but I have little idea about British OO stuff.

Can anyone recommend someone who could make such an item for me as a one of?

Many thanks in advance

What would a prototype whiskey wagon be like?

I guess a private owners van as most of the whiskey would perhaps transported in bottles which are them selves put into crates and boxes?

A grain hopper may be used to bring in the raw material?

Perhaps a question over on the prototype section would reveal the types of wagons which carried goods to and from a distillery?

I suppose the two options are:-

BRT Grain Hopper with whiskey adverts on, three options Lima, Hornby(ex triang), or Bachmann(ex lilliput)

or

The Johnnie Walker Palvan, former BR Palvans as per the Parkside kit.

But for a retirment present an "O" gauge one in a display case would be fine (plus a matching bottle)

Mark Saunders

I suppose the two options are:-

BRT Grain Hopper with whiskey adverts on, three options Lima, Hornby(ex triang), or Bachmann(ex lilliput)

or

The Johnnie Walker Palvan, former BR Palvans as per the Parkside kit.

But for a retirment present an "O" gauge one in a display case would be fine (plus a matching bottle)

Mark Saunders

In O gauge the Palvan is available from Slaters, as a kit. https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?code=7070

There are plenty of small firms who could make it up for you. This is the prototype that Mark meant http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/johnniewalkerpalvan

Paul Bartlett

What era does your friend model because this may effect the types of wagon used?

Try googling 'distillery + railway ' and then select the images option at the top of the Google page.

Also try the same with ' railway + whiskey '.

Are you looking for an 00 model that will run on H0 track?

On a Google search I've seen pictures of whiskey barrels in 5 plank open wagons and wooden grain vans with the house like peaked roofs that's basically a shed on wheels.

In the early days grain would come in sacks in an open wagon sheeted over with a tarpaulin to keep the Scottish weather out.

Coal for the furnace would come in open wagons, maybe the distillery would own it's own and paint them in their own advertising livery?

Much food for thought guys, many thanks. It will be standard OO, not really era specific but he pretty much all recognisable steam, A4 & Battle of Britain and I'm sure I saw a wee tank last time I was up.

I think either private owner or a tank would be best, just to get the best out of the lettering, and I really want him to be able to run it, not just look at it.

Archived