So what's wrong with the Hornby 20t hopper?

RedgateModels

The R6016 hopper wagon dates back to 1997, so how bad is it? can they be detailed up to give a reasonable representation of the prototype?

The tooling is a fair bit older than that (unless you meant 1977, which would be nearer the mark), as it was inherited from Airfix/Dapol. The body is quite a nice representation an LNER diagram 100, continued by BR as diagram 1/143 - the photo linked to is a vehicle from the same batch as the number applied to that Hornby model - while the chassis isn't remotely related to the style of body carried. I think I'm right in saying that all the riveted bodies rode chassis with the NER style single-sided brakegear with the high lever. This is available, with the correct underframe, as a kit from Parkside as is the all welded equivalent.

Aside from that, the style of lettering rather suggests to me that Hornby have found a picture of a re-bodied version (a bit like this perhaps) on an LNER style chassis and applied it to their existing model. Dave Bradwell does a nice detailing etch with a replacement chassis and all manner of detailing parts to improve the hoppers you describe but without correcting the underframe. The NER style brakes can be applied to the existing underframe using ABS parts (dad did this 25 or so years ago), but the Parkside kit is probably a better bet now...

Adam

Edit in light of Mick's post below: My Bradwell build - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=12020&start=125#p707993

I think I'm right in saying that all the riveted bodies rode chassis with the NER style single-sided brakegear with the high lever.

Close but no cigar ;)

There were some (relatively few) riveted wagons on RCH long-link underpinnings, but they weren't like LNER dia 100 or BR 1/143. They were allocated dia 1/145 and essentially were a riveted version of the common welded pattern 1/146, like this one: B416996. The stanchions are not L section as on other riveted wagons, and the rivets appear both side of it.

Incidentally, weathered, unmodified wagons are used by Keir Hardy on Wibdenshaw, but with his stock requirement it's not surprising ;)

Close but no cigar ;)

There were some (relatively few) riveted wagons on RCH long-link underpinnings, but they weren't like LNER dia 100 or BR 1/143. They were allocated dia 1/145 and essentially were a riveted version of the common welded pattern 1/146, like this one: B416996. The stanchions are not L section as on other riveted wagons, and the rivets appear both side of it.

Should have known that I'd forgotten something... ;)

Thanks Ian.

Adam

Archived