Finney V2 kit

Guest notascoobie

Guest notascoobie

Good evening.

I'm told that Finney kits are an exercise in concentration over a protracted period. It's been said that 350 hours is about right. However, I'm also told that the end result can be absolutely magnificent from a Rolls Royce of a kit.

Has anyone seen an authoritative review of the 7mm scale V2 kit? I've Googled and I've RMWebSearched, but to no avail. Assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Vernon

Having a kit in the cupboard - I'd also be interested in a documented build of the V2. The closest I've seen on RMweb are the A3 builds by Dikitriki and Christian - amongst others.

I recall seeing a picture credited to Railway Modeller of a V2 built by Chris Wesson, I wonder if he wrote anything up for them..

Cheers

Tony

I built the kit about 10 years. As with all Finney kits everything fits together perfectly, the only "complaint" I have is the use of etched laminations for certain parts, such as the slide bars, when in my view a casting would be far more effective. I thoroughly enjoyed building the kit and it made a superb model. I have also built the adams radial tank and it is just as good. The kits are very good value for money in my view.

>>>>Has anyone seen an authoritative review of the 7mm scale V2 kit? I've Googled and I've RMWebSearched, but to no avail. Assistance would be appreciated. Regards,Vernon <<<

Vernon

I have built two Finney loco kits an A4 and V2 both in 7mm. As others have said they do go together well, that is if the builder has exeperience of constructing a model from flatpack etched parts of which there are many.

Another positive is that you are unlikely to have to purchase castings to replace inaccurate or bits the kit should have included.

Personally I think its a great shame that Martin only produced three kits based ex LNER loco's as a K3, D49 or say a NE D20 to his high standards would I think have sold well but thats just wishful thinking now

Martins V2 kit when completed is the best V2 you are ever likely to see in 7M and yes I do include RTR

If you do embark with a V2 kit your welcome to contact me if you get stuck

Regards

Bob

I meant to add to my previous reply that there have been no build reviews to my knowledge covering a Martin Finney V2 KIt . However two RMweb forum members ran excellent build reports on this Forum covering Finney A3's. While MRJ magazine covered construction of a 4mm A3 (cant recall the issue number) and a 7mm A4 MRJ issue no 94 & 95

Regards

Bob

Guest notascoobie

Guys,

Thanks very much for your helpful responses. I'm having a dabble in Gauge 0 as a change from my normal 4mm stuff and I fancy a go at a V2. I guess it will be Finney rather than Ace, it's just the complexity makes it look like a long long build. Still, that would stop me wasting money on building an even bigger pile of unbuilt kits!

All the best.

Vernon

>>>>>>I will let you know once I have tried it out, the sound guru man is doing one for me to try in a DJH LNER V2 I have.<<<<<

I look forward to that Cliff perhaps you can put the results up on your U Tube page. I would be very interested in the outcome because my V2 is almost complete and I'm at the stage where I will have to decide where to add the weight. and with sound a possibily thats going to preclude placing lead in the smokebox

Regards

Bob

Vernon

Further to your enquiry re the Finney V2 kit, Hopefully if I have followed the upload process correctly an image of my own Finney V2 build should be shown below clicking on the image should provide a larger view. Nearing completion it awaits sundry smokebox pipework, reversing rod connection, speedo cable and other incidentals before heading off to the paintshops. I think it shows what a fine and accurate model the Finney kit can produce

Regards

Bob

post-8104-0-16893900-1310467820_thumb.jpg

Guest notascoobie

Vernon

Further to your enquiry re the Finney V2 kit, Hopefully if I have followed the upload process correctly an image of my own Finney V2 build should be shown below clicking on the image should provide a larger view. Nearing completion it awaits sundry smokebox pipework, reversing rod connection, speedo cable and other incidentals before heading off to the paintshops. I think it shows what a fine and accurate model the Finney kit can produce

Regards

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for your post and the piccie of your super model. That's what I'd like mine to look like before it goes to the painshop.

Can you use "normal" Slater's wheels with the Finney kit? I read on one of the workbench threads about "special" Slaters wheels for Finney kits.

Regards,

Vernon

ps I'm a bit erratic on-line at the moment :rolleyes:

Yup, thats another 10 minutes of my life lost staring at your picture of the V2... Every show I go to, I always go and stare at the V2 on Martins stand for about 20 minutes, the first year I did it he gave me some very funny looks.. !!!

I'm desperate for one of these..!!

I think for the finney kits there are narrower (correct scale size) axles available, but also remember that you will need 120 degree axles for 3cyl rather than the 90 degree versions for standard 2 cyl..

JB.

Can you use "normal" Slater's wheels with the Finney kit? I read on one of the workbench threads about "special" Slaters wheels for Finney kits.

Regards,

Vernon

Hello Vernon,

The Slater's driving wheels work OK 3/16" axle. But for the carrying wheels you want the ones with the suffix MF (it stands for Mitchell / Finney) these wheels use a 5/32" axle, along with the tender. As has been stated you can get an axle for the drivers that sets the wheels at 120 deg.

OzzyO.

Bob,

You've made a cracking Job of the finney kit there, what is the identity of this fine machine and what will the finished livery be. I had a right price V2 bought as a present but got rid when I saw how bad it was, however I did retain the wheels for my future Finney V2 build :D

Best regards Mick

Hello again and thank you to you all for your kind comments concerning my almost complete 7mm Finney V2. I too had spent quite some time ogling the V2 on Martin's stand at various shows before eventually committing myself. I think what sold me in the end was completing my first Finney kit an A4 which had been in my possession for some time and a visit to Telford shortley afterwards saw me returning with a V2 kit. Once you have tackled a Finney kit you really feel like having a go at another one. With the V2 now nearing completion hopefully a Finney A3 will be arriving in the not too distant future.

As for what comes next for my V2, well it will be making its way to the paint-shops of a good friend who has done an excellent job on my last three big BR Green-uns an A4, A1 and A2

Just in case anyone was wondering why my V2 did not have boiler –bands, simple, I dont apply them on locos that will require lining out. On a cast kit I take them off and on an etched kit they stay in the box. I leave it to the Paintshop man to add these where necessary using Hand Lined strips of decal film.. Although having said that in the case of the V2 I will have to remember to add just one strip across the firebox which were not lined. Incidentally Martin does not apply boiler-bands to the V2 boiler etches and I dont recall seeing them as parts

As for a number I'm torn between two of Gateshead’s ex V2 fleet 60868 or 60940, I have a couple of fine images of them both. While 60868 managed to fly the nest to St Margarets shed and survive to late 1966, 60940 was not so lucky and went for scrap not long after Gateshead closed to steam. Im kinda leaning towards 60868 and having scoured each image I can see no major detail difference between either loco. I do however have a couple of more months to go yet before having to make that final decision.

Kind regards

Bob

Archived