RMweb Members' Day 2011 - feature on Model Railways Live

Chris1701

Hi everyone,

If you were at the RMweb Members' Day then you might have seen me rushing around taking snaps and video for Model Railways Live (the website of BRM) - a huge thanks to all the layout operators who were very friendly and helpful.

The feature I was putting together about the day is here:

post-12423-0-36448400-1310029880_thumb.jpg

https://www.model-ra...eb_Members_Day/

There's a photo gallery of all of the layouts, a highlights video and a full video interview with Andy Y himself:

post-12423-0-37892400-1310029891_thumb.jpg

https://www.model-ra...nder_Andy_York/

Thanks a lot Andy - you were quite possibly the busiest man in the universe on that day and always managed to find the time to speak with everyone and do the interview.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the feature and I'm looking forward to the next Members' Day :-)

cheers,

Chris

Thank you Chris for a rather splendid report on the day only tempered by the inevitable cringing as you watch one's self umm-ing and arr-ing through an interview.

Thanks for taking the time to do that and giving further exposure to the event in addition to your support on the day.

Thank you Chris for a rather splendid report on the day only tempered by the inevitable cringing as you watch one's self umm-ing and arr-ing through an interview.

Thanks for taking the time to do that and giving further exposure to the event in addition to your support on the day.

Thanks again Andy, I think you did great in the interview - but then again if it was me on the other end of the lens I think I'd feel the same ;-)

Chris

I didnt realise Andy admired the 2mm stuff,

Very much so! Collectively you push a lot of boundaries and it's great to see creativity and skills emerging from those well under the average age for modellers. You all make for a very bright future as far as I'm concerned in modelling skills.

I note Chris edited out my response about the "What would you change about the hobby?" question where I was bordering on a rant about "Now, Now, NOW, NOW!!" impatience which is the opposite end of the scale of you folk. laugh.gif

I note Chris edited out my response about the "What would you change about the hobby?" question where I was bordering on a rant about "Now, Now, NOW, NOW!!" impatience which is the opposite end of the scale of you folk. laugh.gif

Sorry about that Andy - I think that was a good clean rant, but the sound was really messed up on that one and some people behind you were a little too interested in what you were doing in front of that camera pleasantry.gif

Perhaps its being saved for the directors cut? :D

Expect there was much footage of me b*ggering about behind Andy in the interview section, couldn't be helped as we were taking the layout down immediately behind. I do apologise nonetheless.

Presume one must be registered to find a link to view the videos?

Presume one must be registered to find a link to view the videos?

Hi Jamie - no, if you click the links in my first post they should just go through to the pages containing the videos - you don't need to register.

cheers,

Chris

Chris, thanks - I think it's this computer as they don't show on the page. I should have thought (youtube doesn't work on this one either). :blush_mini:

I'll let boiler pressure rise on the old one and try that when it warms up ;)

• RMweb Gold

Yes; that was the Shawplan team doing their best to make their presence known. :)

I think you did very well Andy, I hate being film with an audience! A few years ago at the end of the Christmas play I had to say a few words at the end congratulating the children and staff who put the show on and mid flow ended up sneezing several times! That footage came back to haunt me! laugh1.gif But well done, it's also really good that BRM has thrown it's weight behind the forum, as both have a lot to gain from working with each other. good_mini.gif

Regards,

Nick

I think you did very well Andy, I hate being film with an audience! A few years ago at the end of the Christmas play I had to say a few words at the end congratulating the children and staff who put the show on and mid flow ended up sneezing several times! That footage came back to haunt me! laugh1.gif But well done, it's also really good that BRM has thrown it's weight behind the forum, as both have a lot to gain from working with each other. good_mini.gif

Regards,

Nick

cheers Nick, it was my first time at a Members' Day and I know that Richard from BRM managed to get to chat with many of the layout operators too. I realised just how much of a community there is amongst railway modellers - so it's been great to share the snaps and video with everyone I met there.

cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

cheers Nick, it was my first time at a Members' Day and I know that Richard from BRM managed to get to chat with many of the layout operators too. I realised just how much of a community there is amongst railway modellers - so it's been great to share the snaps and video with everyone I met there.

Yeah this is why I like RMWeb so much. drinks.gifAnd I did purchase the Right Track Weathering DVD from your stand! Very good product as always. cool.gif

Regards,

Nick

Did I hear the words 'I'm a secret Muse fan' uttered there Andy? You need these in your life....

(Perhaps the best thing ever. Wish I was there....)

(...or here...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i9eIfsadAs (....or here too....)

(...I was here though...)

(...and I did enjoy this...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT1U_pyghlo (...and this was good fun!)

Roll on Reading this year - Origin of Symmetry in whole? Yes please!

;)

Pix

PS - Who are these decent 2mm modellers you talk about? They should join our little area.

Think I might be about to offend a few with this one, so hope that things will be taken in context.

It's great to see other area's of the media picking up on the all the hard work that Andy and his team has put into RMweb and the members day. But I have to say that the video's would have been a lot more enjoyable with better sound and less camera shake. I might be sounding a bit picky here and as partisan as I my be towards the forum........ Well ....... There's now't wrong with doing a job right.

So full marks for furthering the cause so to speak. But we could have a little thought towards production please. I looked at a couple of the video's on the BRM site. One of which, was on something of particular interest and I just had to turn it off. I do appreciate the effort that is being made, but theres more to a well put together video clip than just pointing a camera at someone or something.

• RMweb Premium

some people behind you were a little too interested in what you were doing in front of that camera

Oh dear - that might have been me Phil and Tim as I see the back of my head and the other two in the background in the still shot - we were ready to go and came looking for Andy to say thanks and goodbye and had no idea you were in the middle of an interview. :lol:

Mike

Think I might be about to offend a few with this one, so hope that things will be taken in context.

It's great to see other area's of the media picking up on the all the hard work that Andy and his team has put into RMweb and the members day. But I have to say that the video's would have been a lot more enjoyable with better sound and less camera shake. I might be sounding a bit picky here and as partisan as I my be towards the forum........ Well ....... There's now't wrong with doing a job right.

So full marks for furthering the cause so to speak. But we could have a little thought towards production please. I looked at a couple of the video's on the BRM site. One of which, was on something of particular interest and I just had to turn it off. I do appreciate the effort that is being made, but theres more to a well put together video clip than just pointing a camera at someone or something.

Ni Nile,

What you've pointed out is very true - but the challenge of covering the event on my own, without (for instance) a crew to set up lights or the time and space to set up a tripod in front of every exhibit (especially when there are visitors trying to see the layouts) makes for a very hectic day - the Members' Day had almost 20 layouts to cover in photo and video but just one person to cover it (me), so setting up things more professionally just isn't possible at the moment. I quite literally have to do the best I can with what I've got. However, I will be shooting in HD at events soon. laugh.gif Most of the video content on the BRM site is a little before my time, but rest assured that production standards are only going to get better.

cheers

Chris

Archived