XO4 replacement

Tim Hale

• RMweb Premium

Interesting this is the opposite of what I have found with MW005 motors I kept the triang gearing when swopping to the MW005 and I found the top speed reduced can't really comment about a torque reduction as I don't have any hills or did before and after haulage trials

I have heard on this site before that there are two types of MW motors, one for scalextrics racing and one for trains , all the ones I bought came in boxes with leaflets in stating they were made to suit model train locos, the comment about the short brushes giving more clearance is another clue we had different motor,s from each other as the MW brushes were deeper making the motors fatter, making quite often the need to open up the width to get the motor in a hole the X04 fitted in , where you found you had more clearance unless your on about the brush mounting being under slung rather than on top the keeper plate

Very interesting post from you anyway on motors I didn't know half of that about armature swopping

I have had two types of (seemingly) identical 5 pole XO4 replacement motors.

The one looked identical to the XO4 apart from the 5 pole armature, the other had shorter brushes and two mounting holes at the magnet end, instead of one.

The latter was intended for slot cars and revved like the clappers, it was also extremely noisy and consumed lots of current, it was useless for model railway use unless you wanted a steam outline TGV!

I fitted both with the single start worm which was available which meant the first type ran extremely well at realistic speeds, the second literally flew along the track, wailing like a banshee.

Keith

EDIT I also had a slot car version of the two magnet type motor commonly supplied with K's kits. It too revved fast and drew lots of current.

Pictures of the XO4 direct replacement: (note the brush springing)

post-6208-0-72193700-1391189757_thumb.jpgpost-6208-0-59084400-1391189776.jpg

Ref Simon G they came from CD or CDRW drives, I don't know the technical terms but the "head" for want of a better word which traverses across the CD, powered by a motor driving a long threaded shaft has at least two small very powerful magnets which must be super neo, one each side of a glass "Eye" though I seem to remember some have two each sde The whole head is magnetic and I saved several of these magnets while actually saving the various motors and gears etc. They are probably too small for practical use, if only because you need to cannibalise too many CD drives. but they certainly transform the tired old H/D and X04 motors I tried them in.

I carefully assemble a "stack" to fit between the pole pieces in place of the standard magnet, they are much smaller than the standard magnet but far more powerful. I suppose you could make a permanent job if you smeared Araldite around them to hold them but I was just experimenting. Plan B is to find some larger ones. Plan C to try just two with an "Iron" spacer between, one made from old pole pieces from long dead motors.

Thanks for that - I checked two CD drives that I had removed the motors from and found the magnets as you said.  Given the strength, they must be Neo ones.  Unfortunately, I recently threw out some CD drives after harvesting the motors, and I could have had more of these magnets! 

Archived