Change CV value on Zimo to stop engine restart

rushdenx1

I have a Bachmann Class 20 fitted with Zimo chip and Digitrains sounds. The sound is stopping over a particular set of points (it runs fine when sound is off). I have thoroughly cleaned the offending area and now it runs ok sometimes, but still cuts out at other times. On the Loksound chip I believe you could adjust a CV (124 I think) so that the sound continues when this happens. Does the Zimo chip have a similar function. If so which CV ? Could the issue be with the loco which has just had lights fitted. Thanks Kevin.

1 - fix the pickup problems, it could be one wheel not picking up, or it could be rail cleaning. When cleaning rails its important to get the very slight curve where rail changes from "top" to "side" to be clean; that's usually where the tread of the wheel is resting.

2 - if that doesn't work, consider adding a stay alive capacitor as indicated in the Zimo manuals. That should keep the sound and decoder logic running for a fraction of a second over a momentary interrupt. Even a small electrolytic should work. If not sure of track voltages, select 25v or even 35v rated capacitors, if you are **really** sure of your track voltages, you can run with 16v rated capacitors. If tight for space, you can wire capacitors in parallel and add the capacitance together.

- Nigel

I had a similiar problem with a 20 - contacted Digitrains and they supplied me with a capacitor which did solve the problem.

It does sound as though you need a capacitor for your Zimo.

I know all Digitrains are now supplied with them [unless its of the Zimo's with a built in capacitor]

Archived