Kyle of something or other

DJM Dave

Hi guys,

Thought i'd at last start a thread for my first new layout in years, that i have called for now (for want of a suitable name) Kyle of something or other.

What with the upcoming Dapol class 26 and the rather tasty Farish 37's, 47's and MK1 coaches i thought why not and started to plan what i thought would be an 8 foot end to end layout. Boy was i wrong as what was not planned is an 18ft long by 6 ft deep, chest height DCC sound fitted (loco's) scottish highland layout, that's causing me to collect stock like it's going out of fashion.:unsure:

Perceived to be a scenic single track layout for at least 12 foot of the 18, with a drop down to the harbour station and turning / avoiding triangle in the remaining 6ft affording continuous run.

The layout is still at the fine tuning stage and will feature lots of tall hills (or should i be better saying mountains) rising up beyond the visible height afforded by the suspended layout nameboard and light box, and dropping down from track level to well below track height.

Featuring not only the harbour station with triangle, and branch off to another ficticious town, but a Glenfinnan type of concrete 'horseshoe' viaduct, avalanche shelter single passing loop, and more than a few 'tarns'.

DCC will be supplied by an NCE power cab and at least 1 Procab with a booster to cope with any potential power drain.

The sound fitted DCC locomotives will consist of at least half a dozen class 26's, 3 class 37's weathered nicely thanks to Mercig Studios, 2 class 47's, a 24, Regional Railways 156

Stock will include Blue/grey MK1's, an engineersseacow train with 2 shark brakevans, RTC test train coaches (for the 24), some railfreight HEA's, OCA, SPA, VGA, aviation fuel wagons and maybe a cargowagon or 2.

I'll put up the proposed track plan on Monday, and start this thread properly once more of my loco's get delivered complete with pictures and maybe video of said engines.

It's an exhibition layout that will need a van to transport but due to the size, but i hope to have something nice (maybe the Kyle) to offer Andy at the RMWEB show next year.

have a look monday for the track plan and i will welcome any suggestions you might have to improve the 'look' and feel of the layout when you see the plan.

cheers

Dave

Very much looking forward to seeing this indeed. Sound is something I'd like to go towards eventually but the cost is a little off-putting at the moment so it will be nice to see what appears here.

Tom N.

Hi everyone,

As promised here's my new track plan.

Part 2 goes on the left hand end of the part 1 if that makes any sense?

I'll post it again in a day or 2 when i have aded some detail to the track plan (roads, hills, trees, water etc.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-00107900-1310392954_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-76375700-1310392987_thumb.jpg

How can you think about a layout when there are so many outstanding Dapol models to release? :rolleyes:

It should at least guarantee we get the 26s, anyway :laugh:

Don't worry, I'm joking - we all need leisure time, no matter how busy things are. Looking forward to further developments.

Hi Dave,

This will be an impressive layout - after seeing your new 26 models in the case at Perth, they really do look like they will be an astounding model (The fine grills and crispness of the molding is amazing in this scale if you havn't seen them yet). And to have sound as well will make this very interesting. I'm sure we'll get to see it at one of the Scottish shows in the future as well!

Nice to meet you at Perth and will enjoy watching your progress with this one!

Thanks,

Mark

• 1 year later...

Archived