Railway Modeller - August 2011

industrial

Railway of the month Parkside & Hale Line Gauge 3 Battery Electric and Live Steam GWR with some SR as well.

Plan of the month. Settle & Carlisle Salute 00 layout based on the Eden Valley 10' X 5'

Scale Drawings A Victorian crossing keeper's cabin a Furness Railway one.

Monkchester N gauge Early/Mid BR days some where up north.

GWR Sepent C (RM spelling) How to build one Serpent C with the left overs from the short Mex cattle wagon (RM April 2011).

The LLanmynach & Tawel-Llety Railway. 009 railway.

Alder Carr. A semi-automatic mine layout in 09

Automatic signals. Colour light signals in N gauge but can be done in any scale.

A modern brakedown crane in 4mm. Scratchbuilding the Cowans Sheldon 75T diesel hydraulics of 1977.

Killagan. Country Antrim set in the 1950's & 1960's in the days of Ulster Transport Authority.

Glen Roy. Scottish-based layout in the BR 'blue diesel' time.

Railway Modelling Explored. Goods yard details in 00.

Also a special supplement Plastic Structure Kits.

• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-47643000-1310413318_thumb.jpg

As above the supplement has a how to build buildings from a simple kit, a Wills craftsman kit, and two kit bashing exercises, one a re build of the Merit/Peco Potters Bar signal box, and the station building seen here from Peco/Ratio/York Model Making components.

post-68-0-38224400-1310413387_thumb.jpg

post-68-0-57941300-1310413406_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The RM has definitley improved over the last year, and in this issue I particularly liked

the track plan of Andy Peters' GlenRoy, the kind of layout RM never used to feature.

The goods shed looks very nice but it is not clear what make it is from the article-is it

a Skaledale done up? Perhaps some one out there knows, Andy?

The goods shed looks very nice but it is not clear what make it is from the article-is it
-Townstreet?

Gentlemen,

For whatever reason that I cannot comprehend*, I still prefer the continuity of quality provided by the Toddler. Each issue has a project with decent instructions and it provides a better spread of interesting subjects than the younger magazines that merely seem to scratch the surface, a lot more substance than froth in the old 'un.

This month's photos in the product review section were rather good and although Peco don't provide a critical analysis of review items, I think that I prefer to see better photos whilst I can draw my own conclusions whether to buy something.

Tim

*Maybe the Toddler is my comfort zone?

Can I suggest that you take the Modeller unread on holiday. I've just got back, and it took me a fair while to get through it, money well spent on a holiday read. In contrast, Hornby magazine didn't take me as long to read.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, The Goods Shed! Well it is scratch built but not by me, I picked it up S/Hand. I think it may be bits of Peco / Wills plus other bits but I am very pleased with it. Sorry I should have explained more in the article. There are more pics on the RM Web under Glen Roy. Andy

Archived