Advice on painting Dutch

• RMweb Gold

Going to be down in Devon for the weekend, I intend to make use of the weekend to get on with some painting projects while I have air brush access.

I have a rake of kit and scratch built Sea Urchins that is in need of painting, most of which will be going into Dutch livery.

Whenever I have tried to spray dutch wagons before I have always had issues masking the yellow stripe (I am not overly impressed with the transfer stripe options, so really it has got to be paint.)

Any tips on how to do a good job?

If you use very thin strips of masking tape (about 1mm) to mask initially around the bodyside ribs and then fill in the remaining area with tape cut to a width which is easy for you to handle and position and maybe some Maskol in the mix too.

It's a ###### to do but you just have to take your time, sadly...

• RMweb Gold

If you use very thin strips of masking tape (about 1mm) to mask initially around the bodyside ribs and then fill in the remaining area with tape cut to a width which is easy for you to handle and position and maybe some Maskol in the mix too.

It's a ###### to do but you just have to take your time, sadly...

Does anyone sell tape that thin? (All I have at the moment is the 5mm and 1 inch Tamyier widths)

If not its out with the scalpel and cutting it to width.

I am planning to use grey primer for the faded Dutch grey (this having worked well on my Doorands),so will be masking the grey then spraying yellow.

Edit

Karl posted as I typed this, will place an order for some of that tape. The 1mm pinstriping tape sounds like it may have applications for coach stripes as well.........

Rich it's quite easy to cut your own!

I use Duck Masking tape and lay a foot long length on a piece of kitchen work top type material and cut it to the desired width. A good sharp knife will give good results.

Archived