New here

Hi all

love this subforum, nice and Cornish !

Born and bred Cornish, born over by Redruth too many years ago, lived and went to school in Sithney until I was about 10 - dad moved us upcountry for work, his not ours !

My Cornwall is still full of sunshine and peaceful days, proper yellow ice cream brought round by Urens of Porthleven and my mum would send me out one sunday per month with a big glass bowl to bring it home for a treat. Pasty making was passed down from my great Auntie Ethel - we were a mining family from way back.

Helston branch was closed when I was a kid but remember walking down the lane to Mrs Freemans sweet shop on the Helson Camborne road and seeing truthall Viaduct across the valley.

My dad taking me to hospital in Penzance when I was little - on the crossbar of his racing bike ! and seeing all the gleaming green steam engines in the station.

The St Ives branch in steam days, coming to Carbis Bay and that magnificent vista spread out on the right, mmmmmm.

those were the days.......

Long gone sadly, now just somewhere for foreigners (the English) to live 2 weeks a year, until somewhere else becomes the "in place" then we can get back to mining, farming and fishing.

.....and wrecking !! Well beachcombing anyway ! Porthleven now has Naughty but Ice as its ice cream shop and the branch is coming back to life with its small preservation group.

My uncle Mike lives in Porthleven and my great aunty Lily did as well many years ago. She was a neighbour of the Gibson family, of Dambusters fame.

• RMweb Gold

My uncle Mike lives in Porthleven and my great aunty Lily did as well many years ago. She was a neighbour of the Gibson family, of Dambusters fame.

Welcome to RMWeb anyway, Nige - presumably you're still living in Cornwall?

Any modelling projects on the go at the moment?

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Nige. Good to have proper Cornish among us.:good:

I can't quite claim that as I emerged "up-country" while my folks were visiting mother's parents near Uxbridge though we lived in Newlyn and I later moved to Hayle (overlooking the main and St. Ives branch lines :yahoo: ) before taking up exile as a Cousin Jack down under.

I also fully appreciate your sentiments regarding house prices and the increase in holiday homes which are only occupied for perhaps 2 - 4 weeks of a year.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

• RMweb Premium
even inculiding that little bit of Devon that connects it all together

That would be the little bit on Bursdon Moor up around West Country Inn then? All the rest seems to be disconnected by water. :D

Archived