N Class Moguls. Not only 32-165DC but also 32-150V.

Peter Bedding

All is clear :scratchhead:

Thanks!

I considered changing the thread title, but the original text would not then have made sense. Apologies for confusion.

The good news is that the debate that followed has produced a result, and "The Signal Box" (usual disclaimer) website now states that the 32-150V is DCC ready.

Mine is on order.

PB

32-150V arrived in the post this morning; perfect condition.

Externally there is nothing to indicate the chassis modification I hope to find within. Had snifting valves been included on the smokebox I would have awarded bonus marks, but their absence causes me no problem. The appearance is excellent.

I gave it a test run using a H&M Powapack/Multipack set-up for DC volts. At almost a minimal turn of the output knob, the loco took off like a scalded cat, but ran smoothly in both directions. Low speed examination was impossible.

The time to dismantle it approaches. Bearing in mind the different physical sizes of the available 6-pin decoders, I shall want to examine the space inside the loco before procurement.

PB

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have retained the Bachmann decoder for now and I did play with the CVs (cannot remember which ones) in an attempt to slow down F1 style acceleration. I have been reasonably successful but will re-examine the CVs later perhaps using a different decoder. My main task with this loco was to get rid of the awful cantilever type drawbar between loco and tender which on my loco intermittently jammed when coming off a curve on to a striaght thus derailing the tender. I purchased a WD 2-8-0 style drawbar and with a bit of fettling I now have a better connection which is relaibe. The N class is certainly I nice looking loco that looks good on freight or passenger service.

Archived