N Class Moguls. Not only 32-165DC but also 32-150V.

Peter Bedding

The Signal Box charged my card for the SR N Class Modelzone exclusive{?} as of September 4 and now shows these in stock. But not the weathered BR version most of you are awaiting. Not expecting too much from this other than a workable model that will require a DCC wiring job. I could be surprised.

If anyone already has received a new SR N class from this run could you let me know if there are any changes from the old Bachmann production runs. Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I too am waiting to see what Bachmann has done with the N. When announced last Feb/March, I recall Bachmann saying that the chassis was not being upgraded to be DCC ready (I use this term deliberately, not Bachmann's equivalent 6DCC, 8DCC or 21DCC) - they were working through their older models and this year it was the turn of the B1 and A4 to be upgraded. So I assumed this new DCC on board version would have a hired wired decoder. Now Bachmann talks about a 6-pin decoder being fitted, which does imply a socket and therefore the ability to swop the decoder without having to hard wire it. But in view of Bachmann's earlier comments, I want to wait and see before buying - I don't trust the factory not to have done something else. After all, the 4575 Class small prairie 32-138 is shown in the catalogue as 8DCC but when it arrived earlier this year it wasn't...!

Incidentally, today's update of the Bachmann website shows this standard run N class 32-165DC as being available, so it should be in the shops imminently.

To all,

The photo for the weathered N on the Hattons site makes the engine look distinctly bent in the frames. With a bow in the running plate. As I understand it some of these locos suffer from cab-fitting slightly awry, and other worries. Could someone advise if the model is straight or not?

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=38437

Rob

• RMweb Premium

To all,

The photo for the weathered N on the Hattons site makes the engine look distinctly bent in the frames. With a bow in the running plate. As I understand it some of these locos suffer from cab-fitting slightly awry, and other worries. Could someone advise if the model is straight or not?

http://www.ehattons.....aspx?sid=38437

Rob

As of the time I am posting this - Monday 12/09 at 07.55 GMT - the photo on Hattons website is the Bachmann catalogue/website image, not one of Hattons own of the production model. So far the only photo of a production version I've seen is in Hornby Magazine and it looks ok. What is disappointing is that the weathering is much lighter that shown by Bachmann. Perhaps there are differences between each model? To run early emblem, I would want heavier weathering (so ok for early 60s). It's one thing starting from scratch, but it never seems to look right when I try and add to factory weathering.

Thanks Andrew, yes the Hattons pic was originally the Bachmann studio version but now they have their own photos;

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=38437

it looks perfectly straight in the body, but I have to say the weathering is very poorly done, in my opinion the white water stains from washout plugs would never have been quite like that. On the other hand... <g>

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andrew, yes the Hattons pic was originally the Bachmann studio version but now they have their own photos;

http://www.ehattons.....aspx?sid=38437

it looks perfectly straight in the body, but I have to say the weathering is very poorly done, in my opinion the white water stains from washout plugs would never have been quite like that. On the other hand... <g>

Rob

I quite agree, but if you compare the Hattons picture with the one on Rails of Sheffield's website there's a big difference. Clearly this is one model you need to see the weathering before buying, because on the Rails picture it looks much better.

My Modelzone/Signal Box version arrived today. Catalog number is 32-150V. Everything appears OK as far as the Chassis and fit. It does not appear to be any different than the last run of non-DCC versions 4-5 years ago.

It has the correct straight side early N Class tender. The tender does have the small Bachmann UK loop/hook coupler in an NEM pocket. I think a Kadee #20 will work there. Putting a working Kadee on the front will require a little surgery. The drawbar will need to be modified. The tender does have a bit of weight. Pickup is unfortunately only off the driving wheels.

There is no indication of a DCC plug. I will be test running this weekend at a local hobby store which has a DC test track before I crack it open for decoder installation. I think I used a TCS T1 as the decoder last time on an N class and had to file some metal off the back of the cast backhead to give it enough room. Hard wiring is a little delicate but not a serious problem. I have been running the last one 1406 repainted from 31406 on DCC for over 2 years with no issues.

Pity, but I don't think either 1860 or 1406 saw service on the North Cornwall line in Southern days 1945-7.

Why not use a TCS M1 rather than a T1. The current draw of the N should be well within the capacity of the M1 and it is a lot smaller than the T1.

My own two Ns that I have hard-wired (so far) use Digitrax DZ123 and DZ125 decoders, although I'm not a big fan of the Digitrax ones.

Another TCS decoder that would be an easy fit is the Z2 - I have one of those in a Dapol Terrier.

My Modelzone/Signal Box version arrived today. Catalog number is 32-150V. Everything appears OK as far as the Chassis and fit. It does not appear to be any different than the last run of non-DCC versions 4-5 years ago.

It has the correct straight side early N Class tender. The tender does have the small Bachmann UK loop/hook coupler in an NEM pocket. I think a Kadee #20 will work there. Putting a working Kadee on the front will require a little surgery. The drawbar will need to be modified. The tender does have a bit of weight. Pickup is unfortunately only off the driving wheels.

There is no indication of a DCC plug. I will be test running this weekend at a local hobby store which has a DC test track before I crack it open for decoder installation. I think I used a TCS T1 as the decoder last time on an N class and had to file some metal off the back of the cast backhead to give it enough room. Hard wiring is a little delicate but not a serious problem. I have been running the last one 1406 repainted from 31406 on DCC for over 2 years with no issues.

Pity, but I don't think either 1860 or 1406 saw service on the North Cornwall line in Southern days 1945-7.

Many thanks Ken for a valuable input. It does seem odd that Bachmann apparently have two slightly different build standards in production at the same time, but your posting confirms that this is so.

I have three N class hard wired with TCSM1 decoders, and they have all been giving sterling service in much the same way as the real thing. So the prospect of a fourth is very tempting. If the Modelzone version were to come DCC fitted, I would not hesitate, but there are some other equally tempting Era 3 Southern options in the near future, and I am trying to ration my pocket money.

Temptation usually wins.

• RMweb Premium

I noticed that the early weathered promo shots showed a really heavily weathered loco, probably hand done as it looked far too good for a factory wethered. i guess that was exactly what it was a promo shot. having returned from holiday I found mine waiting and it is quite lightly weatherd to a good standard but nowhere near the original promo shot. I have yet to try the loco (too much remedial work in house and garden) but will weather it more in due course. Has anyone run the engine? it would be interesting to know what their impressions are of the loco with the 6 pin decoder.

I just opened my BC32-150V Southern Limited version and am in a bit of shock. It does have the new modified for DCC mechanism, a six pin plug and a blanking insert. It is the new mechanism not the old. It did not come with a decoder and I had purchased a TCS M1 to hardwire install assuming it was the old mechanism. The decoder is not hardwired. It can be unplugged. and replaced if you have the DCC installed version.

Other than a full disassemble being required and the two suppressors removed it is DCC ready.

I shall now have to source a suitable 6 pin decoder. Looks like a TCS EUN651 might work. Bachmann USA only sells 8 pin decoders. My local store where I get a discount only stocks TCS, NCE and TCS decoders.

• RMweb Premium

I have described in DCC questions my problems regarding programming the decoder and will definately replacing the decoder with something a little better. Have you run yours since removing the suppressors Ken? be interested to know if there was an improvement in performance. I like the overall look of this loco, the tender to body connection is a bit strange a sort of cantilever affair which I will have to investigate this closer.

I just opened my BC32-150V Southern Limited version and am in a bit of shock. It does have the new modified for DCC mechanism, a six pin plug and a blanking insert. It is the new mechanism not the old. It did not come with a decoder and I had purchased a TCS M1 to hardwire install assuming it was the old mechanism. The decoder is not hardwired. It can be unplugged. and replaced if you have the DCC installed version.

Other than a full disassemble being required and the two suppressors removed it is DCC ready.

I shall now have to source a suitable 6 pin decoder. Looks like a TCS EUN651 might work. Bachmann USA only sells 8 pin decoders. My local store where I get a discount only stocks TCS, NCE and TCS decoders.

It makes sense to manufacture just the one standard, but why oh why could not the manufacturer, and the limited edition sponsor, advise this in advance publicity? It is not as if they have not been asked. Any way, I must now go and count my pennies.

PB

I test ran the DC SR Class N for about an hour on the 180 foot loop at my local hobby shop. I had not opened it up and removed the suppressors at that time. It was a little jerky at low speed with the suppressors on filtered DC. As they are not required in the US, I will remove them as part of the DCC effort. I have the TCS EU651 on order (also for the impending Dapol/Kernow BWT) but will not have time until after the first week of October to pick up the decoders at my local store and work on it again. About the same time the BWT will arrive, I hope.

I will expect that someone else will have installed their own decoder before I have a chance to report.

I am off to a mythical event. My 50th High School reunion in Portland Oregon this weekend and my Hobby Store (Just Trains in Concord Calif..a shameless plug) is hosting a big train show event the weekend of October 2-3 and will not be able to handle any special orders in the Chaos. So it will be October 9 before I can get the necessary decoders.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ken

Can you update us, please, on progress with fitting a decoder to the 32-150V ? Some photos even, if possible.

I have received an email from ModelZone confirming that this loco is DCC ready; however, leading journalists on this side of the pond still seem to remain unconvinced!!

Which decoder did you eventually decide upon?

Peter,

See my photos above. They show a 6 pin socket from which I removed a blanking plug which is also shown. I think that is ample proof this is DCC ready. Unfortunately I have yet to install a decoder due to delays and the one six pin decoder I had (a Tsunami) went in the BWT.

I will be using one of the TCS EU651 6 pin decoders if it ever arrives at local hobby shop and I get there to pick it up. Looks like there will be plenty of room. The TCS decoder is I understand fully CV programmable unlike some of the other 6 pin decoders. The length dimension which was a problem for the BWT is not a problem here as shown in the photo. Any good 6 pin decoder should work. My earlier hard wire coversion of a Bachmann SR Class N used an N scale decoder as well and it has had no problems.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Products/Decoders/N-Scale/EUN651/EUN651.html

There is another decoder on this page that might work if the TCS EU651 is a problem fit.

Hi Autocoach

The loco that is subject of this thread (32-165DC) is not only DCC ready but it comes with a decoder on board.

Hello 7013

I fear I have been guilty of going OT, or more accurately, using an over-simplified thread title.

Earlier in the year, both Bachmann and Modelzone announced new N Class locos. Bachmann's was the 32-165DC, and Modelzone's special edition was the 32-150V, this latter would come off the same production line at the same time. It seemed illogical to me that two importantly different build standards would emerge at the same time. (OK, it has probably happened before).

Autocoach bought his 32-150V expecting it to be to the original build standard, which required a decoder to be hard-wired. And then found that it was substantially the same as the 32-165DC albeit with a blanking plug instead of a decoder chip.

On the strength of this report I contacted Modelzone. They investigated (!) and have confirmed to me that their 32-150V is DCC ready. This must improve its market worth.

Hth

PB

Archived