The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Lack of petrol stations on some jouirneys

As a UK, 44 ton, artic driver, I feel brassed off, putting three hundred quids worth of Diesel in the lorry, - it only lasts a day doing tipper work, or a day and into the next morning, on curtainside work. (There's a fuel facility in the yard, but obviously, that's no good when you are hundreds of miles away from base).

£300 is nearly a week's take home pay for me, yet the truck guzzles that amount in one fill. It makes my blood boil.

The boss ain't very happy either, margins are so tight now, that he can't afford to subcontract work out anymore during the Christmas rush, - instead of constantly passing on ever increasing fuel prices, he has absorbed some of them, to keep the work with his regular customers.

Oil is getting harder to find, and it is buried, in more inaccessible places, with more risk involved, collecting it. It's time a viable alternative was made available. When I was at school in the seventies, "everyone" teachers / books / media, said different fuels would become available, to replace oil... Time is running out.

In the meantime though, it would help, if tax on fuel was reduced, especially now we are in a recession and there's a "penny pinching" squeeze on wages and pensions.

Anyone that knows Abergele will also know it is nicknamed after a certain garage whose posters adorned almost every bus from Crosville to Arriva. Having bought out every garage in Abergele and closed the petrol forecourts, it shut its own down last Friday. Aren't monopolies wonderful...

There is a current advert for some smallish Japanese car with a couple of twits with 'Geordie' accents saying this car is so economical you can get 593 miles (I think) per tank full.

Like you I have a two litre diesel I get that normally!

Keith

I can get that with normal driving to work. Given a run, I get much more.

With the additional complication, in places, of the Sabbath! Having left Scotland 40 years ago, I'd forgotten about that. A couple of years ago, on a Sunday, I drove from Mallaig to Fort William on fumes, at about 30 mph, anxiously comparing the 'mileage left on fuel remaining' to the distance signs all the way!

Not only the Sabbath. Couple of years ago, I went into Lochinver on a Wednesday to find everything shut up because of some saint's day.

Anyone that knows Abergele will also know it is nicknamed after a certain garage whose posters adorned almost every bus from Crosville to Arriva. Having bought out every garage in Abergele and closed the petrol forecourts, it shut its own down last Friday. Aren't monopolies wonderful...

Hi Coachman, is that Slaters by any chance ?