More computer designed buildings by Alex Fry

Caledonian Railway 900 by Jim Macintosh

Trees from seamoss by Maurice Hopper

Letters

Goods yard operation on an exhibition layout by John Ditchfield

Diary

and another new name in the editors chair

David

No layout feature? The last 2 or 3 issues have been fabulous in this respect!

Worth a break then.. I wasn't a big fan of the last two and there seem to be some good articles in this one for me. I don't think a mag has to have a layout in it. Edit: cocked up here as I'd overlooked 207 which I did enjoy, meant the two before that! Whitchurch road is a rather special layout too.

I particularly enjoyed Geoff Holt's article on scratchbuilding, especially as he seems to be building a GCR 6A class. I can but hope he continues the tale. The Burford buildings article was a good 'un too - that will be some layout, when finished. Martin Goodall is some modeller!

History was made on Saturday when in my absence the postie managed to get my copy through the letterbox!

The editor this time is Paul Karau and there are enough parts 1 of 2 either to tie the hands of a future guest editor or to indicate that Sir will be in the chair next time.

The article on three link couplings by Trevor Pott will provoke a lot of thought up and down the realm.

Chris

article on three link couplings by Trevor Pott will provoke a lot of thought up and down the realm.

Chris

Mr T Pott's article is on screw links and a very good read.

The whole issue is very good in fact and a good host of practical tips.

Considering how long Roy Jackson took between parts I don't think we need to see some part 2's quite yet ;).

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know when it will be on general sale - checked WH Smiths in Aylesbury yesterday and they still had one copy of issue 207 on the shelf.

Smiffs always seem to take 7 - 10 days to get MRJ onto their stands - can't imagine why.

My guess would be Friday.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I picked up a copy this morning in Smiffs in Buxton.

I'm quite confused by the (very interesting) scratchbuilding article. Is it a one-off or (I hope) part of a series? And it would have been good to provide at least a photo of the pantograph milling machine mentioned.

Mr T Pott's article is on screw links and a very good read.....

Working screw links, too, for less than the cost of the ones from Exactoscale.

However, I think he did the equivalent of gently leading us up the garden path when he carefully outlined his method of making them work, wrote that he had fitted them to his stock, and then turned round to say that actually he didn't use the tightening feature after all. That, for me, was a real "custard pie in the face" moment, and beautifully done it was :lol:

I'm quite confused by the (very interesting) scratchbuilding article. Is it a one-off or (I hope) part of a series? And it would have been good to provide at least a photo of the pantograph milling machine mentioned.

Part of a series I think. Photos of a typical pantograph miller can be found here

I'm sure there has been a pic of a pantograph miller in MRJ before, was it in an 'interview with a loco builder' style article?

Yes there was, if memory serves well, it was an article by Tony Reynalds on the one he uses.

One can but dream.

MRJ 208 read cover to cover and enjoyed it all although from someone considering auto couplings in 7mm due to a bad back, I did have to smile at the 4mm working screw couplings.

regards

Stewart

Archived