NEW "0" PLAN

Barnaby

Update and some thoughts for your opinions please.

Considerations I have been working too.

1] It is to be a shunting - shunting layout

2] Built in awkwardness

3] variety of goods/materials etc arriving/departing

4] track to sit in the scene well with some feature buildings

5] DCC controlled

6] must be enjoyable

I show my 2 latest choices and would like to know which you feel offers the best optons based on my above listings.

Regards

post-1159-0-53480500-1315752690_thumb.jpg

post-1159-0-71423300-1315752742_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Plan 1 does not have the space required for the buildings that you have suggested (well to make them look right in my eyes) let alone for road vehicles to access them. Go for plan 2

Thanks for your input gents.

There are some elements of the first plan that I like but it does contain 4 more turnouts so it is more crowded but then I do want to be busy shunting.

I'm off to try doing some combining of the ideas and do a bit of stripping down.

I'll probably have most if not all buildings as low relief with just 1 or 2 small complete buildings on layout.

The old adage of *** less is more *** could apply here.

Thanks again.

Oh and I nearly forgot I will be making my decision over the next few days as I have the base boards, have the track, have the waggons, have Lenz dcc and have some locos just got no where to run them 'cept my 1 yard plank.

Why don't you take a look at Shortliner's thread in USA and Canadian Railroads headed: "Fiddlesticks" and see how much interest can be generated by a layout of two points (I think) and one sector plate (or another point).

It is fascinating.

Best, Pete.

Will do Pete.

I do have http://www.wymann.in...-inglenook.html and http://www.carendt.c...ndex/index.html which both offer many small layouts and are well worth a look but I have the space and have the boards built so I just need to settle on using the space but maybe not using so many turnouts.

I also followed Shortliners and Flyyns layouts posts on here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=24472, all are very commendable.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes having extra sidings makes shunting easier whereas fewer sidings often means moving wagon A to get to Wagon B. I think that working out the moves to shunt layout two will need some careful thought. Good to keep the interest.

Don

I don't want to chuck a spanner into your thoughts, but in your search for shunting interest your plans seem to be getting more complicated and stuffed full of track. The prototype always made everything as straightforward as possible, because - if it took a long time to shunt it, you were paying men for time that could be spent elsewhere on other jobs. Less is definitely more where trackwork is concerned and points/slips require far more maintainance than plain track, again costing more money. Moving wagons into specific positions, ie seperate delivery/ pick up doors in factories/warehouses can be just as complicated as having a track puzzle. I know it is USA prototype, but a look at Jack Hills Newcastle Industrial Railroad blog particularly the "First operating Session" on this page http://oscalewcor.bl...op-session.html will show you what I mean. de-complicate trackwork, to coin a word, and complicate the actual job by thinking about putting the stock into specific locations will be more prototypical. If you feel the need to use a DS, can I suggest a variation on Box Street Yard http://www.carendt.c...te/index.html#2 May help

Best

Jack

Yes cheers Jack your'e spot on with your comments as usual.

I am caught between having some track [d/s too] and wanting to use that as sometimes I have 2 points back to back which do the same thing but take up more space so in an effort to save some space I got a d/s.

I really need/want to start track laying so I'll have to review my and all the other suggestions and produce a final plan.

I think I have been over complecating it in an effort to make the shunting interesting and not something that can be done in a couple of mins.

Ok I'm off to view those 2 sites you mentioned Shortliner and then try to finish my plan............ du du deeeeer.

Regards

• 1 year later...

Well after several false starts and lifting up of the track laid I've come up with this one.

Any one help with some ideas for the entrance to the fiddle yard?  I intend to poke the end of the double-slip into the yard but only have the top road inside while the lower road will continue outside of the yard and in full view.
Been thinking about a boiler room or some sort of office with an underpinning of girder supports and brick/stone buttresses.   Just writing this down has helped that process but if anybody has any other ideas please drop a line here.

post-1159-0-26963300-1376064388_thumb.jpg

Could I suggest getting rid of the point above "local industry yard" and only hvaing one siding at the lower right hand end?  It would make it feel less cluttered and make the fiddle yard easier to hide.  As for a way of hding the entrance, I would suggest some sort of heavy industrial pipework or gantry.

• RMweb Premium

Update and some thoughts for your opinions please.

Considerations I have been working too.

1] It is to be a shunting - shunting layout

2] Built in awkwardness

3] variety of goods/materials etc arriving/departing

4] track to sit in the scene well with some feature buildings

5] DCC controlled

6] must be enjoyable

I show my 2 latest choices and would like to know which you feel offers the best optons based on my above listings.

Regards

Just wondering if considerations 2/ and 6/ are mutually exclusive? If its too hard to shunt across 'because its awkward', (the run round is very short and thus not easy) then does it lead to frustration?

I wonder if this is what has caused your 'several false starts'? See Shortliner's post at #34.

Thanks Jack I give that a try on paper to see how it works.

Kevin yes Shortliner is very much a "less is more" devotee and as for the built in awkwardness I seem to recall Iain Rice enjoyed adding suck difficulties to his layout designs for added interest, that's what I was attempting.

I'll review his post again @ 34 as I am understanding of my layout becoming tooooooo cluttered.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

As you start to crystalise any plan you will find ideas that have to be dropped as new ones come along. If you try to include everything you will go round in circle add idea X and idea Y will no longer fit. And then as soon as you build it another idea comes along. The best thing is to plump for one of the plans above ( I like no 2 by the way) and make a start.

Don

Very true Don.

I was beginning to find it difficult to place grounded items so maybe losing some of the track to gain hard standing might also be a good thing.

I've also for work-a-round reasons in the workshop I've decided to shorten the layout to 12Ft and thus had to make changes as per the later showing plan.

Regards

I assume these plans are based on the use of PECO pointwork. Have you considered using Marcway which would give you far greater range of possibilities. I know it lacks chairs but in an industrial area with the track covered with concrete or general grot this might not be too noticable. Just a thought.

Archived