How close can you get to the track?

Penlan

• RMweb Premium

While that is remarkable it is a scene repeated in quite a few places around the World. I do love the way the awnings are put back as soon as the train passes, and the optimism of being able to sell something which has not been just close to the train but in some cases has had the train run over the top of it!

Lest you might think unprotected tracks are the preserve of the Third World here is a (disposable camera) image of an electrified suburban route in Melbourne, Australia, which sees off-peak trains every 10 minutes each way and peak train every 2- 4 minutes as well as carrying some quite heavy freight workings. You might care to note the complete absence of any fencing of the three rail tracks (down, reversible and up) and minimal protection of the overhead equipment through suburbia, something which is relatively common here.

post-3305-0-70397300-1310781153_thumb.jpg

Here's one that I don't think has been posted here before, this time it's Africa's largest slum in Kenya:

Who's to blame? The old story of the poor, attracted to the big city, trying to make a living next to the railway tracks.

• RMweb Gold

Here's one that I don't think has been posted here before, this time it's Africa's largest slum in Kenya:

Who's to blame? The old story of the poor, attracted to the big city, trying to make a living next to the railway tracks.

I would have thought the locals probably presented more danger to the train than the other way round to be honest. People have the ability to be able to get out of the way; the train hasn't.

You might care to note the complete absence of any fencing of the three rail tracks (down, reversible and up) and minimal protection of the overhead equipment through suburbia, something which is relatively common here.

I like a country that trusts its citizens not to be stupid idiots. I wish the UK government did this, and of course that there were far fewer idiots here!

• RMweb Premium

Here are a few pictures I took in El Salvador in 2007. The line had been closed for 5 years and had only reopened to provide a commuter service the previous month. The railway owns 17meteres each side of the track but the shacks were mainly built by refugees during the civil war during the 80's. They anticipated trouble when they reopned and 4 heavily armed gaurds rode the train (They were from the transport police.) However there had been very little trouble.

post-6824-0-41749200-1310841343_thumb.jpg

Several of the houses had cars parked by them with the only access being along the tracks to the nearest road.

post-6824-0-60217700-1310841411_thumb.jpg

My guide and translator for the day came from a railway family and I was given a cab ride on the way back when this photo was taken showing how close some of the buildings were.

post-6824-0-27744700-1310841497_thumb.jpg

The locos were mainly 800hp GM machines with one centrally mounted traction motor with cardan shafts to the two bogies. Here is one with one of the gaurds as it ran round at Appopa prior to me getting aboard with the translator and 2 other plus the driver and assistant.

post-6824-0-98830000-1310841545_thumb.jpg

It was quite an experience and unexpected. The trip was on Christmas eve and we stopped every few hundred yards to pick up passengers who were trying to get to market with their produce. We then stopped alongside the market to let them all off before reversing into the station.

Jamie

Archived