Midford Pontification

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've only just come across this thread but that issue of model rail was fantastic I fear I may have to order a back copy as the one I have is pretty beat up after reading it cover to cover. The trackplan is great and I have started work on my own Midford although I only have space for 8ft by 6ft so I have squashed the plan a bit and removed the branch line. My plan includes a 4 road fiddle yard the down side is I can only have 6 coach trains but I intend to build the layout so It can be extended when space arises. Although 6 coach trains might not to be everyone's taste it's a sacrifice I can live with.

I love the simplicity of the original plan and as a S&D theme layout was on the cards it's timing was perfect, with the fact it can be built on boards no wider than a foot Midford is ideal for the space starved modeler especially as a spare bed needs to fit in my railway room as well !

So thanks for the inspiration and hopefully I can put some updates of my progress on here a bit later on... now where's the chap who wanted to start an S&D Pendon...

• 4 weeks later...

I guess there's nothing stopping anyone from adding it (I probably would do). These plans are only to stimulate ideas, not the definitive answer. I don't think I've ever see a photo of anything actually in it. I gather through, when a down goods wanted to place a wagon in it, the loco of a down goods at Midford yard would uncouple, take refuge in Midford goods yard, the stock required would then be released from the main train to run down past the good yard entrance by gravity. The loco would then recouple and propel the wagon(s) down through the station into the siding. Does anyone know what it might have been used for? Coal, PW vehicles?

Hi Chris

I only found this thread today as I am toying with doing something S & D.

If you are referring to Midford Goods yard then there are at least two published pictures of it with stock in residence;

1) On Somerset & Dorset lines by Robert Robotham page15 published by Ian Allan (a box van & a 16t mineral)

2) The Somerset & Dorset Remembered Part 1 - Bath to Evercreech Junction published by Book Law Publications, page 46 (it looks like a couple of box vans & something else possibly behind)

Hope this is of help

Cheers Bill

There are plenty of shots of the odd wagon or two in the goods yard just north of the station (it handled general goods and occasional loads of fullers earth from nearby), it's the little siding just south of the viaduct I've never seen any wagons in. It was removed around 1960 along with the little ground frame hut I believe.

The Up siding and ground-frame were reported in June 1959 as "taken out of use" and subsequently removed in Feb/Mar 1960.

[Edit] PS. In "The Somerset & Dorset at Midford" by Mike Arlett (Millstream Books 1986), at the bottom of page 52 there is a photo dated simply "summer 1936" which shows a solitary open wagon standing in the Up Siding.

Edited by RailWest

• RMweb Gold

There are plenty of shots of the odd wagon or two in the goods yard just north of the station (it handled general goods and occasional loads of fullers earth from nearby), it's the little siding just south of the viaduct I've never seen any wagons in. It was removed around 1960 along with the little ground frame hut I believe.

I fear that you may have to invent a little local traffic, Chris, to justify putting a couple of box vans or similar in the siding. I'm sure that Farmer Miggin's wife of Lower Twinhoe Lane Farm had a bit of sideline making raspberry jam..... :P

• RMweb Gold

I fear that you may have to invent a little local traffic, Chris, to justify putting a couple of box vans or similar in the siding. I'm sure that Farmer Miggin's wife of Lower Twinhoe Lane Farm had a bit of sideline making raspberry jam..... :P

What and no cider! :D

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the post here I've found it very useful being 7000 miles away. I just love the differences between our 2 countries, you have Mrs Miggins with her home produce and jam and we have Bo and Lou Duke with their moonshine in Hazzard County?

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the post here I've found it very useful being 7000 miles away. I just love the differences between our 2 countries, you have Mrs Miggins with her home produce and jam and we have Bo and Lou Duke with their moonshine in Hazzard County?

Andrew

But I think they're related, and Marjorie Miggins visits the good old USA every 5 years to take her second cousings Bo & Lou some of that self same strawberry jam!...

(actually, she flies Virgin just for their moonshine!)..........

• RMweb Gold

I had thought about beefing up the fullers earth work a bit to provide more traffic to our new layout as post S&D closure the use of fullers earth was used by the military (here in the US anyway so I can't see why the UK would be different) in great quantities

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Belgian, but for those of you who are familiar with the Cartoonist Gary Larson of The Far Side fame. As soon as I saw your reply I had a vision pf a cartoon of cats walking thru a downtown area dropping trash on the floor ( you have to know Larsons work to appreciate it)

• RMweb Gold

I had thought about beefing up the fullers earth work a bit to provide more traffic to our new layout as post S&D closure the use of fullers earth was used by the military (here in the US anyway so I can't see why the UK would be different) in great quantities

There were one or two Fullers Earth narrow gauge lines in the area around Combe Hay, just south of the Combe Down area, quite possibly you could feature one that feeds into the goods yard (although none actually did, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility and it would make for a great feature!).

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh and may I ask what color is a suitable ballast color, I have looked at what few color photos I have and all the exposures seem to be showing good detail in the loco and stock and the ballast seems washed out. My initial choice would be for Woodland scenics buff although I like the brown, my only concern in WS Buff also seems a bit bright for limestone?

Andrew

Looking at the photos on the Woodland scenics site, the light grey looks closest to new ballast in this area. It darkened with age, so the grey blend might also be appropriate. The buff looks much more like the naturally weathered stone found on field surfaces in much of this area rather than the quarried material. Personally, I use a Slater's ballast which is almost white, and then weather it with grey paints and black washes.

Nick

Extracted from a discussion elsewhere some months ago (and with due acknowledgement to the relevant contributors):-

" If Meldon was well-developed by 1900, the chances are the SDJR ballast would have come from there? If not, it would have been from local sources, including the Mendip mountain limestone, the Dorset stone and crushed gravels from coastal areas."

"Ballast northwards out of Bailey Gate.....seemed to be from a Carboniferous Limetsone assemblage (brachiopods, corals). The

colour of the ballast was mainly a blue/grey which was the limestone with the fossils, but there was also a brown ballast littered amongst this which looked volcanic."

"The brown (basalt) ballast did and still does come from Moons Hill Quarry just above Stoke St Michael in the Mendips. John Wainwright is the quarry owner. If you want samples to replicate the basalt colours a polite request in the post to John Wainwrights would be a good bet. Their website is very interesting [http://www.wainwright.co.uk/]"

Extracted from a discussion elsewhere some months ago...

In the light of these comments, I should clarify that my observations were based partly on memory, but mostly on colour photos from the fifties and sixties (Somerset & Dorset in Colour, Sabotaged & Defeated Revisited, Somerset & Dorset Sunset, etc.) as well as well-bablanced monochrome photos from the same period. Mostly, these will reflect practice under BR(W) management rather than earlier periods. Brown stones do show up in some of the colour photos, though I suspect it is probably rust or other in-use colouring rather than the basalt.

Nick

• Like 1

I have started to produce some parts to make Midford signalbox. I will probably change the woodwork colour to WR brown (arghhh) to suit the period I will be trying to represent. Any observations gratefully received. Roger

Latest incarnation, nearly complete then just got to build it!

Roger

Midford SB 1.pdf

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lke many others, Midford has long been a favourite of mine. My preferred option would be a large roundy roundy set prior to 1930 to allow the wonderful mix of liveries in a Pendonesque setting. To uild on a shelf would not do the locaton the service it requires. It has to be a wide layout to put the railway in the landscape. I would love to go pre grouping but I have not the time to build the stock.

Gunney.

"My preferred option would be...."

....any time prior to the signal-box getting bashed about in the 1936 accident :-)

I have often thought that for those who like minimum space layouts and/or just wanted a small shunting model, then just the area north of the Long Arch would make a nice small model. I wonder if anyone has ever done that?

• 2 years later...