LTS coaches

BSG75

Hi all,

What sort of coaches would have been in use on the LTS in the last years of steam? Was it exclusively non-corridor stock? Was it all ex-LNER and BR standard by then, or were there some ex-LMS still in use? If so, would they have been numbered ExxxxxM ?

Thanks!

As far as I know they used BR Mk1,s suburban non corridor stock,in the ,1950,s I can remember traveling from Sth Benfleet to Tilbury in trains formed of of very elderly stock with fairly flat roofs,trainson the Upminster direct line were either LNER orsometimes LMS but always the trains from but towards the end these all went .Loco hauled trains went from St Pancras to Tilbury Riverside via Barking ,but I cannot recall many other locos other than the tanks built for the line in service.Hope this heps its a long time ago and the memory can play tricks!

The LTS had some unique sets of coaches during the 50s. These were built in 1953 using the under-frames and some body framing of the 1930s LNER Ilford stock made redundant by electrification. There were six sets made up brake third, third, open third and lavatory composite.

They differed from the post war LNER non-corridors in being 54ft long and the large windows in the composite had similar sliding ventilators to BR mk1s.

There is a drawing of a lavatory composite in Jenkinson and Campling's Historic Carriage Drawings book and numbering details in Harris' LNER Carriages.

They only lasted until the LTS was electrified so were short lived.

Archived