Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Just spotted the new O gauge Dapol 08's at Faversham Model Shop for £165 each - can't do a link unfortunately. They do very reasonable mail order.

Usual disclaimer, satisfied customer etc.

Les

EDIT just spotted this in the Dapol 08 thread as well.

Couple of o gauge 7&8 plank open wagons in dapols special offer

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2371

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2372

Less Discount than previously so now £30 each, not selling so quickly this time !!

Those are the ex-Lionheart offerings ... they maybe more expensive, but they are leagues better in terms of accuracy!

• RMweb Gold

Was in my local Aldi yesterday and saw this table saw also available online.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/table-saw/p/093709071024100

My advice, based on personal experience of similarly constructed and priced saws, is avoid like the plague it's a low cost mechanism - quality of tool and the finish of cuts is abysmal.

Cutting a truly square edge along the whole length of a cut longer than 24" is almost impossible.

Was in my local Aldi yesterday and saw this table saw also available online.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/table-saw/p/093709071024100

My advice, based on personal experience of similarly constructed and priced saws, is avoid like the plague it's a low cost mechanism - quality of tool and the finish of cuts is abysmal.

Cutting a truly square edge along the whole length of a cut longer than 24" is almost impossible.

To be fair, and after watching the Aldi video, it looks a lot better than the so-called "brand name" table saw I just binned that cost more than twice as much. I'm always wary of a fence that doesn't extend the full length of the bed and is only clamped at the front end though. At that price, I'd give it a punt, but with the usual caveat that it is probably only for occasional use. For ripping ply or MDF (rather than crosscutting) in the wonderful world of model railway baseboard construction, it would no doubt do the job. Probably very handy for ripping laminate flooring along its length too. Don't under any circumstances think it will cope with a full 8x4 sheet though, you'd need a much bigger saw with a sliding carriage. Also, for simple crosscuts in softwood, you're better off with a mitre saw.

"Measure twice, cut once, and then count your fingers" as a wise man once said to me...

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

No, it was a lightning deal thats time limited, hence me saying be quick :-)

Sorry had no idea what an Amazon Lightning deal entails. What's the time scale, etc.

Anyway we now know it's over!!

But still a bargain at £15.19 for the kit.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Sorry had no idea what an Amazon Lightning deal entails. What's the time scale, etc.

Anyway we now know it's over!!

But still a bargain at £15.19 for the kit.

Rob

No worries, worth keeping an eye out as some of the deals come round again.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby (and Scalextric / airfix etc) have featured in the previous Amazon Black Friday deals and seem to be again

There is a Hornby Gauge BR Extra Long CCT Van being offered this evening - 7pm for prime members, 7.30 if your not a prime member and there are any left

To be fair, and after watching the Aldi video, it looks a lot better than the so-called "brand name" table saw I just binned that cost more than twice as much. I'm always wary of a fence that doesn't extend the full length of the bed and is only clamped at the front end though. At that price, I'd give it a punt, but with the usual caveat that it is probably only for occasional use. For ripping ply or MDF (rather than crosscutting) in the wonderful world of model railway baseboard construction, it would no doubt do the job. Probably very handy for ripping laminate flooring along its length too. Don't under any circumstances think it will cope with a full 8x4 sheet though, you'd need a much bigger saw with a sliding carriage. Also, for simple crosscuts in softwood, you're better off with a mitre saw.

"Measure twice, cut once, and then count your fingers" as a wise man once said to me...

The problems I had are essentially the inability of the saw to maintain its blade in a vertical position due to the poor quality adjustment and clamping mechanism, the adjustment gearing and clamp mechanism are plastic and the gear mesh is no better than lego allowing the blade to 'wobble' when under load which causes wear on the blade angle gearing, which reduces mesh accuracy further, which increases wobble.......and repeat until gear mesh non existent.

I'll shut up now, cos I'm going  :offtopic: a bit.

• RMweb Gold

The problems I had are essentially the inability of the saw to maintain its blade in a vertical position due to the poor quality adjustment and clamping mechanism, the adjustment gearing and clamp mechanism are plastic and the gear mesh is no better than lego ...

Hey - don't knock Lego! If everything else was made to the sort of fine tolerances that Lego employ, it would be no bad thing. If you were comparing cheap power tools with the knock-off Chinese imitations of Lego that you find in pound shops, then I'd agree, though!

Just spotted the new O gauge Dapol 08's at Faversham Model Shop for £165 each - can't do a link unfortunately. They do very reasonable mail order.

Usual disclaimer, satisfied customer etc.

Les

EDIT just spotted this in the Dapol 08 thread as well.

Wow that's crazy price for O gauge, when you can pay more for some 00 loco's. 

Hey - don't knock Lego! If everything else was made to the sort of fine tolerances that Lego employ, it would be no bad thing. If you were comparing cheap power tools with the knock-off Chinese imitations of Lego that you find in pound shops, then I'd agree, though!

Lego gears like these:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lego+gears&client=tablet-android-pega&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiP57e7zbDQAhXJI8AKHRWTDYwQ_AUICCgC&biw=960&bih=600#imgrc=4mhy12ctbhWYhM%3A

Archived