Dcc speaker

nimbamoss

Hi Casey.

Do I need to change the speaker for different ohms or wire them parallel or series?

Ian

Wire them in parallel. Be aware that you are doubling the load on the chips amplifier and it will get very hot and fail sooner than if you hadn't done this.

Nevertheless the ESU Loksound is a tough chip and we are talking many hours of sound production.

One wonders, if you have to turn the sound down, what the actual benefits are.

Perhaps straight replacement of the supplied speaker or attention to the enclosure of it might be a better, longer lasting solution.

Wire them in parallel. Be aware that you are doubling the load on the chips amplifier and it will get very hot and fail sooner than if you hadn't done this.

Nevertheless the ESU Loksound is a tough chip and we are talking many hours of sound production.

One wonders, if you have to turn the sound down, what the actual benefits are.

Perhaps straight replacement of the supplied speaker or attention to the enclosure of it might be a better, longer lasting solution.

Dropping the volume stops the amp from over heating [this was mentioned by SWD some years ago].

No need to replace the retangular speaker but - I always knock a bluetak enclosure on the chassis for the original speaker.

Experience has shown that fitting a 2nd 100ohm bigger speaker in the tanks making this 37 Growl! Let your ears decide if it sounds better.

Guest 838rapid

Hi Ian.

My thoughts are as suggested to pack around the current speaker with blue tack then..

Pack it if to Howes for reblowing as a original 37.

It will sound superb.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Ian.

My thoughts are as suggested to pack around the current speaker with blue tack then..

Pack it if to Howes for reblowing as a original 37.

It will sound superb.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

From a personal choice, the Bachmann 37 and SWD 37 sound better than the Howes jobbie.

If you what the ultimate 37 - try the Digitrains multi drive 37 next time, actually sounds like a 37 should - drivable, wow superb.

I have put a base reflex speaker from DCC supplies in the Bachmann 37 fuel tank and it sounds great. Dismantling th loco to get in the fuel tank sounds daunting but quite easy really. I really like those base reflex speakers.

For my 37 ive obtaind rotating fans from Hornby 47 and 31 to try and I will have try and inovate a way to fit and motorise them (has anyone done this already).

I found a mocro motor and gearbox which looks the job at http://www.robotmaker.co.uk/Parts/Motors/nano_motors/motor_nano_rmn2.htm but its out of stock and an unknown prospect of delivery.

Kev

Hi

3V to 5V seems to be the norm for nano motors.

The 40020 looks a good canidate for a fan drive. Pity Pobot Maker tell me they cant get a date from their supplier as to when there going to make some more.

Looking into alternatives (belts etc). Its turning the driive though a right angle thats the problem as all the motors I can find wont sit vertically between the 37 mechanism and the roof.

Kev

Archived