RMweb

Ebay

Soundloco

A couple of people have informed us of the following so please be careful if ordering items via Ebay. As said a couple of our friends have purchased items via Ebay and a few days or a week after recieving the goods got an email from a third party saying the item is stollen and is theirs. It says this person has contacted the Police and Ebays Fraud Department, but so far none have had anything from Ebay or the Police. We asked Ebay how a third party could get hold of other peoples details and Ebay said it would not be from them as they don't give this information out and the Fraud Dept only deals with the Police directly. So if any readers get this happen to them please report it to Ebay and let them have a copy of the email from the third party. If our friends do get anything more or give us more news we will pas sit on here. Be safe and take care.

As said a couple of our friends have purchased items via Ebay and a few days or a week after recieving the goods got an email from a third party saying the item is stollen and is theirs.

All from the same seller ?

Sounds like a scam to me. If anyone gets such an e mail just forward it to spoof@ebay.co.uk or spoof@ebay.ie if in Ireland.

Do NOT reply to any e mail like this or do NOT click on any links contained in any such e mail.

If you are buying on E bay look at the sellers previous record because someone with good feedback is unlikely to be selling stolen goods & above all use common sense.

• Like 2

I had someone email me via the Ebay message system asking if I would sell them part of a lot I won 2 weeks after I won it. I think the person waited for me to leave feedback, they went on to the sellers feedback page and found my Ebay title and emailed me via the Ebay message system, did not take long to get round the Ebay hiding bidders details.

Yes, the man had brought new track, sold it to me and painted all the metal so i could not use them. He gained £30 for it.

If it was advertised as new ask for your money back (in full), if he does not reply open a dispute and Ebay will refund you after 2 weeks, unless he has settled the dispute earlier . Dont forget to leave negative feed back if he fails to refund you.

Last week a seller refunded me what I had paid him with no trouble, as the item was incorectly described. Its one thing paying too much for an item which has been correctly described, miss-describing an item is wrong and against Ebay's code

• 1 month later...

I think this belongs here...

I bought an OO gauge diesel model (unamed popular brand and number to protect the innocent) for a total of 95 pounds including shipping.

Having received the package and having inspected the contents I was moved to write to the seller..

Here is a record of some correspondence between myself and an EBay seller..

Dear ZZZZZZZ

Your package has arrived in record time, however I have some grumbles with the condition of the model, which you listed it as..

"New - A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item. See the seller's listing for full details."

WWWW Class ## 00 diesel model.

"I am selling one WWWW Class ## (as shown in photo) with separate detailing pack (unapplied)

Model so far has been sitting in box, therefore being sold as nearly nearly mint condition.

Not being sold with box but will be well packed."

"Photo for guidance only

Buyer to pay all postage costs

Combined postage if you buy more than one Lot"

A. However the Horns have been rather inexpertly glued on, as well as using too much glue.. Which spoils the whole look of the model

B. There is a piece of a fingerprint in glue on the roof

C. Some of the paint on the roof has been worn away or scuffed

D. The coupler is missing its hook -

So the state of the body is not describable as nearly mint I'm afraid..

However on the plus side the chassis runs well in both directions over my pointwork

And everything seems to be as it should be - but I will be giving it a closer inspection, and let you know if any further problems surface.

So I am clearly not very satisfied with this deal. If you need photographs of these problems please email me using your email address so I can send the images

My best regards

YYYYYY

The seller then wites back..

"This is exactly how I purchased it. Photos aren't necessary as I have the other partner and I now see the glue problem but it is not a pig of a problem - and can be cleaned up. The scuff mark is news to me, possibly thrown about during transit, my model looks like new and unrun no scratches.

As far as I am aware mint condition means not as good as new condition - anyway there was no intention to deceive - and in order for customer satisfaction what would you suggest?"

After further correspondence I simply gave up and bit the bullet...

Has this sort of thing happened to you?

What would you do in this situation?

Edited by Bill

He listed it as new and it wasn't new - I would have gone to Ebay if he refused to take it back and refund. I would also be sure to give a suitably bad feedback.

As a comment - if it listed as new but the box is missing I would be very very suspicious, especially when photos of the actual item and not used.

Mike

"I am selling one WWWW Class ## (as shown in photo) with separate detailing pack (unapplied)

Model so far has been sitting in box, therefore being sold as nearly nearly mint condition.

Not being sold with box but will be well packed."

A. However the Horns have been rather inexpertly glued on, as well as using too much glue.. Which spoils the whole look of the model

B. There is a piece of a fingerprint in glue on the roof

C. Some of the paint on the roof has been worn away or scuffed

D. The coupler is missing its hook -

So the state of the body is not describable as nearly mint I'm afraid..

So I am clearly not very satisfied with this deal. If you need photographs of these problems please email me using your email address so I can send the images

"This is exactly how I purchased it. As far as I am aware mint condition means not as good as new condition - anyway there was no intention to deceive - and in order for customer satisfaction what would you suggest?" He is also ststing that the detailing pack is un-applied.

As far as I know using the word 'MINT' in this context means perfect (not "not as good as new"), never heard of nearly nearly but I guess he is stating he knows there is a very slight problem."This is exactly how I purchased it". This has nothing to do with his poor description. Any damage in the post is the SELLERS responsibility. The damage listed in A,B&D clearly shows its not "MINT" and also not "nearly nearly mint" His fault for not knowing the usage of the word and not clearly listing the faults

Sounds like you have a cast iron case of an incorrect description, if his photo is of good quality it will show up the faults, or if its of the other end show he is hiding them

Ask for a full refund including your return postage costs, its up to him to reclaim the costs from the Royal Mail. If he does not play ball open a dispute with Ebay and they will refund you directly, they are very good with this type of dispute.

Thanks for your views and wisdom... Much appreciated...Do you know what the rules on feedback are, the last time I posted Neutral feedback the seller slammed me. He only understood Good and Bad - neutral was an alien concept so he put into his bad department and I got flamed for his failure to send the goods! (It was the early days of Ebay back in the 90's) Since then I have only written the most glowing praise in the feedback department....No matter how the deal went down. Is ebay still like that?

Edited by Bill

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know using the word 'MINT' in this context means perfect (not "not as good as new"), never heard of nearly nearly but I guess he is stating he knows there is a very slight problem."This is exactly how I purchased it". This has nothing to do with his poor description. Any damage in the post is the SELLERS responsibility. The damage listed in A,B&D clearly shows its not "MINT" and also not "nearly nearly mint" His fault for not knowing the usage of the word and not clearly listing the faults

'Mint' in the auction context means precisely what it says - i.e. perfect and exactly as manufactured. The next grade down is 'excellent' which means the item is unmarked and undamaged in any way and there are no shades of description between them. If goods received without inspection prior to purchase do not match the seller's description then the purchaser has every right to return them and get his money (and costs) refunded.

Whether Ebay place any differences of interpretation on the use of such terminology etc is clearly part of their trading terms but that should be made clear on their site. But that apart the seller in this instance seems to have misdescribed the item and that is down to him.

Considering the 'suggestion' name and shame ' has been used on many occasions to identify a wrong doer, I find it odd that an earlier poster decides to 'keep mum' about the item/seller etc, I think I am correct in suggesting, Its ok to give medals to sellers on ebay but if they have had a 'decent' feedback record,but then sell only one 'bum' item', this only acts as a minus point against their other plus points. Bit like a first time criminal offence, Any BAD feedback should be highlited by ebay, this would also reduce their dispute procedures,, Any good honest seller will describe his goods correctly, I too bought a loco described as being Mint but motor caput, There were numerous faults with it far from just the motor burnt out, fortunately I managed to correct. Alsosuccessfully bid for a Reverse parking sensor, the seller refused to contact me assumedly as the price was well below what he expected, glad I asked if he would accept a cheque beforehand, and ok'ed. If payed by paypal iI think I would still be waiting. Would it be prudent to suggest that on the forums we have a list generated of bad sellers, no need for actual names and addresses, just the 'handle' they use, this would help deter members from being 'conned' providing they checked before bidding, Beeman.

Edited by beeman

Thanks for your views and wisdom... Much appreciated...Do you know what the rules on feedback are, the last time I posted Neutral feedback the seller slammed me. He only understood Good and Bad - neutral was an alien concept so he put into his bad department and I got flamed for his failure to send the goods! (It was the early days of Ebay back in the 90's) Since then I have only written the most glowing praise in the feedback department....No matter how the deal went down. Is ebay still like that?

The Ebay feed back system relies on honest feedback, if the seller makes a honest mistake and corrects then he deserves positive feedback. However is a seller is giving missleading descriptions and or poor service then give him negatave feedback. Buyers rely on feedback from other buyers being truthfull, bad sellers should be excluded from selling on Ebay, good sellers should br encouraged

now sellers can not leave bad feed back unless there tick good then wright a bad one it still show as green ebay did this to stop seller getting good feedback when there should have got bad by bulleing the buyer to leave the feed back with the thret off i will give you bad i you leave me bad

Edited by mozzer models