BR Mk 2d coach table colours

Hi folks,

A quick question for you all - does anybody happen to know what colour the tables were in the original BR Mk 2d coaches (i.e. when in blue/grey livery)? Second class in particular but any info on first class would be useful too.

I can't find anything on here, the net or in my copy of BR Mk 2 coaches, as the chapter on the 2d's tends to concentrate on the air-conditioning saga. I seem to remember them being white/cream but I'm not sure my memory isn't playing tricks, as that's the colour they tend to be these days. I've seen a shot of the inside of a Mk 2f and the tables in that are blue, so I'm really not sure...

Any photos that anyone has of the interiors would be greatly appreciated too if possible.

Cheers,

Dave

I have saved loads of coach interior photos so that I could paint the inserts (as they are typically plain grey) but sadly don't have any of the Mark 2D

So here is what I have used, based on other photos I could find

Mark 2D

TSO - black (original), blue (refurbished) or white (refurbished) tables with blue seat trim and white frames

FO - white tables with black and orange seat trim with black frames

MkIID had predominantly IC70 seats with BS4800 08B17 colour shells between black armrests moulded onto the steel armature of the seat frame, but some of the earlier XP64 type twin mouldings crept in on certain vehicles (Platform 5 gives details) , these were very pale grey topped at the sides/ upstands by black moulded (hard) foam armrests.

I spent too long working on LHCS refurb specs at Derby Carriage, clearly :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

dave, i take it you mean the harris mk2 book?

p.70/71, b&w interior pics of mk2d FO and FK. the pic on p.7 is also a mk2d FO (judging by the veneer walls) - white/off-white tabletops

top pic on the jacket back cover shows a mk2d TSO - tabletop looks black, with a wooden edging

it briefly mentions refurbishment in the 80s, but that these were done on an 'as needed' basis, i.e. only if the existing trim needed replaced

Thanks guys.

dave, i take it you mean the harris mk2 book?

p.70/71, b&w interior pics of mk2d FO and FK. the pic on p.7 is also a mk2d FO (judging by the veneer walls) - white/off-white tabletops

top pic on the jacket back cover shows a mk2d TSO - tabletop looks black, with a wooden edging

it briefly mentions refurbishment in the 80s, but that these were done on an 'as needed' basis, i.e. only if the existing trim needed replaced

Thanks Keith. Yes, I mean the harris mk2 book. Will check that out.

Cheers,

Dave

Archived