Etch design etc for all

Hi Kevin

I upgraded to the current version of the software last year and convert files to dxf.for etching and have had few issues with convetred files. Previously I had issues with reliably converting hatched areas vital for photo etching with the LT2000 version of the software.

I usually export in dxf. as the first part of the conversion process in preparing a file for 3D modelling, however the results to date using the same techniques and following the same processes are best described as unpredictible, with seemingly random outcomes in producing manifold or non-manifold models.

John

Thanks for that John - I use DesignCAD Express v.15 & have noticed that its behaviour with regard to hatched areas can be a little unpredictable, especially when exporting as .dxf. I'll have a look at the latest version & see about upgrading.

Kevin

Amazing.

Ask Mike to let you have drawings for the rest of the engine, and let's see etch design taken to its logical conclusion B)

Ivan

Already working on an etched footplate to replace the awful cast version.

Morgan

Those really are quite spectacular, I hadn't thought of doing that way, if you can post my original drawing we'll be able to see the differences in approach to the design, may benefit others thinking of designing their own stuff.

Wonderful, just wonderful, full of admiration for your skills.

regards

Mike

Wonderful, just wonderful, full of admiration for your skills.

Me too. Morgan, thanks for posting the how to, it's a great insight into the processes involved, something that I'm hoping to replicate in the not too distant future.

Ivan

Already working on an etched footplate to replace the awful cast version.

Mike:

Whatever it is you're etching to improve the DJH Britannia, could I buy a full set from you? Is there space for a smokebox etch for rolling purposes (I have a Jim Harris one to do, where the etches were reduced to 4mm scale but it needs a smokebox)?

It occurs to me that might be some mileage in etch sets to improve / upgrade some older DJH-type kits. Footplates / running plates in particular.

Yes, the same thought had occurred to me sometime back when I'd built the Gibson Std cl5. But to be honest my only interest is getting a Brit footplate/running plate right. If anyone wants to run with the idea, feel free. None of this, I find, particularly taxing, just flippin time consuming! I'd rather be building than designing. Although the more I get into this, it seems to be that to get the best out of your model - especially if you are fine scale minded - then a certain amount of this process goes into every model. Although I seem to have taken this process further than I have before. That's probably down to the influence of a few, good young men on this forum - you know who you are and yes I do blame you! pleasantry.gif

Mike

Thanks for that John - I use DesignCAD Express v.15 & have noticed that its behaviour with regard to hatched areas can be a little unpredictable, especially when exporting as .dxf. I'll have a look at the latest version & see about upgrading.

Kevin

Kevin,

Some CAD packages foul up with the hatching if there are irregularities like duplicate overlayed lines or lines that do not meet properly at intersections. I have found that hatching the drawing and then importing it into Illustrator will show up those errors quite well.

Kevin,

Some CAD packages foul up with the hatching if there are irregularities like duplicate overlayed lines or lines that do not meet properly at intersections. I have found that hatching the drawing and then importing it into Illustrator will show up those errors quite well.

I don't know if DesignCAD has the programming possibilities of AutoCAD but in AutoCAD there is a function that removes matching vectors from a layer (ie perfectly overlapped/duplicate lines). I hadn't discovered it for a while but it is useful.

Finding small holes where you haven't joined up a shape is also fun sometimes though you can fudge it slightly in autocad and tell it to ignore small holes and there are tools to help find them.

Kevin,

Cheers for that Geoff,

from my experience with DesignCAD, it can be a right pain in the posterior at times with unwanted gaps at intersections & the subsequent problems that causes with the application of hatching (being either only partially covered, or the other extreme of having the entire 'page' hatched...). I've also found that even if the hatching is OK in the native file format, it sometimes becomes corrupted if you try to save the file as .dxf. It has to be said though, that I've never tried to use it for etching artwork, only for the 'day job' drawing archaeological plans & sections, so it might be down to the fill patterns I use, I suppose.

I don't know if DesignCAD has the programming possibilities of AutoCAD but in AutoCAD there is a function that removes matching vectors from a layer (ie perfectly overlapped/duplicate lines). I hadn't discovered it for a while but it is useful.

Finding small holes where you haven't joined up a shape is also fun sometimes though you can fudge it slightly in autocad and tell it to ignore small holes and there are tools to help find them.

Hi Craig,

DesignCAD does seem to have a function for removing 'stray' lines (as part of the 'Save As' function), but it's very much at the (extreme!) budget end of the market compared to AutoCAD, so probably won't have all the fault-finding abilities of its more illustrious brethren - certainly, I've not found a tool to find unwanted gaps, which would be very useful... :)

Kevin

Cheers for that Geoff,

it can be a right pain in the posterior at times with unwanted gaps at intersections & the subsequent problems that causes with the application of hatching (being either only partially covered, or the other extreme of having the entire 'page' hatched...). I've also found that even if the hatching is OK in the native file format, it sometimes becomes corrupted if you try to save the file as .dxf. It has to be said though, that I've never tried to use it for etching artwork, only for the 'day job' drawing archaeological plans & sections, so it might be down to the fill patterns I use, I suppose.

Kevin

Part of the fun of using DesignCAD :huh:.

I have been playing around with the software for so long now I would find it difficult to change to another programme, the service from the help desk is exceptional for a low cost software.

To overcome problems with gaps I usually place construction lines and rough work on separate layers to the finished work which is basically a tracing, I use the various snap commands and the Line Combine B command to close off gaps at intersections.

I use a similar technique for 3D modelling tracing and snapping with the Plane P command

John

Archived