Emmanuel Nouaillier Foamboard Materials Techniques

Whilst browsing the modelling mags in the library that is the Ayr High Street branch of a well known newsagent I spent some time reading the article by Emmanuel Nouaillier in the current Continental Modeller on how to make a concrete yard surface using foamboard. It looks amazing in the article.

Being too stingy to buy the magazine I googled the author of the article and came across this:-

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=4083

Various techniques using foamboard to produce brick, stone, render and concrete. Wonderful stuff and well worth a browse.

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of the "feather board" referred to in the web article? The Continental Modeller article seems to suggest that this is not your common or garden Daler foamboard?

• 2 weeks later...

M Nouailier's work is extraordinary both in its quality and degree of observation. As a French resident I appreciate that there are still little scenes like these to be found, especially 'ghost' advertising signs on buildings beside what were once considered 'busy' roads.

The material he uses, like another fine French HO modeller, François Fontana, is 'Canson' brand foam board sold here as 'Carton de Plume', plume being the French for 'feather', hence the possible misunderstanding that 'featherboard' is a different type of foam board.

Reading some French modelling press, they both prefer 'Canson' brand over others for the density of the foam in-fill and for the smooth, certain and simple way one sheet of the card covering may be removed simply by peeling it back from one corner. I have learned to my expense in both effort and time that no other brand 'peels' so easily.

Why should you want to?

Both modellers use the technique of removing one face and then engraving details, features etc in the unprotected foam face, for retaining walls, cobbles, pebble-dash etc.

I have done so in the past, and enclose a picture of a small 'bothy' made by this method. Whilst the construction is simple and reasonably obvious, I'd be pleased to post more details should anyone care for me to do so.

post-106-0-80864000-1312475659_thumb.jpg

Doug

Doug,

Many thanks for the reply.

Love the bothy!

I ended up buying the magazine and the article has something of a disclaimer advising that the author has tried many other brands of foamboard and that he has found only that particular brand produces the results he describes.

I shall try and track some down.

I see next months edition will have an article of the techniques to produce worn and faded brickwork.

Kind Regards,

Stewart

Archived