Branch line Coaching stock.

Troon boy

I am currently modelling a branch set in mid Cornwall (Bodmin area) between 1960 & 65 giving me scope to run Hydraulics & steam. I have always previously modelled blue diesels through to current. Can anyone give me advise on coaching stock livery's used during the period? This may seem a simple question but being a child of the 60's I am too young to remember (just!).

Thanks in advance.

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

The livery would most likely have been maroon by the end of the period you are talking about. Earlier you might have found crimson being used.

• RMweb Gold

Not much to throw into the pot but, the Bodmin branch used Class 22 locos with maroon B-sets. On the DVD Steaming Into Cornwall, there is some beautiful colour footage of said set.

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Not much to throw into the pot but, the Bodmin branch used Class 22 locos with maroon B-sets. On the DVD Steaming Into Cornwall, there is some beautiful colour footage of said set.

Regards,

Nick

And it wasn't the only branch to boast diesel loco haulage in Cornwall of course - Helston also had D63XX on the branch passenger trains after steam had ended. I've got some pre-war coach working for the Cornish branches and I doubt it varied much until dmus took over judging by what happened at Bodmin.

• RMweb Premium

In the time period asked the likely livery would be maroon. If you wanted to run the occasional chocolate / cream or blood / custard coach you might need to go back a couple more years though you could run green ones. DMU stock should be green and locos maroon or green. Blue / grey coaches and blue locos / dmu stock first appeared in Cornwall around 1966 though existed earlier elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Only just seen this having been away in Devon - sorry it wasn't far enough west for you, Troon Boy!

Remember that the Southern lines beyond Exeter came under Western control from 1963. Even before that Class 22s were used on the SR route between Exeter and Plymouth but after two failed at Okehampton on successive days the SR preferred that something serviceable was used instead. From winter 1963-64 the WR started drafting in dmus, firstly on the Exmouth branch with some trips from Exeter to Barnstaple. Further dmu arrivals had to await branch closures, mainly in South Wales, and were mostly 116s. There is of course far more to it than that but it will give food for thought. On the WR lines in the far west one could find 122-type bubble cars from 1961 alongside 118 power twins or 3-car sets.

Bodmin - Wadebridge may be of interest because there was dialogue between the Southern and the Western, with a Southern 2-set P [Hornby Maunsells, dead easy] turnng up at Bodmin Road once or twice a day and a WR B set getting to Padstow.

Chris

Archived